• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EPO for stroke/CVA to increase oxygenation?

physicsstudent13

is this really dangerous to inject EPO? doesn't it increase red blood cell counts so it thickens the blood and can cause strokes, CVAs??

does anyone know anything about EPO? does it increase oxygen to the brain and body? I suffered a stroke and am severely handicapped.
I've heard there is also a chemical called ITPP which binds to hemoglobin but it is less effective. EPO may be risky in that it causes kidney damage or death?

Last edited:
Professional cyclists have been known to inject EPO to increase oxygen in the blood. I've injected it professionally to dialysis patients. Look up the side effects on drugs.com
Pretty sure you wouldn't want your red blood cell level much above normal.

physicsstudent13

I don't know what the risk/reward ratio would be for CVA, oxygen does help my hearing loss and deficits. Sometimes my O2 is around 82 80 at the ER when I put on the finger oximeter. I do feel really weak and exhausted all day and wake up handicapped with hearing loss and sever sleep apnea. 100% oxygen is an effective treatment for hearing loss and it is ridiculous that ERs in the US will not give this to patients that will end up handicapped with hearing loss

I don't know if EPO would thicken the blood and increase CVA risk and if it would raise O2 levels

I'm also not sure if an INR reading of 0.9 is enough to start warfarin or lovenox or clopidrigel or elliquis? I have had intermittent angina, RBBB, a little bit of mitral valve prolapse in the past but was never diagnosed with any heart problems

what is the target therapeutic level for RBC, hemoglobin on EPO?

Last edited: