August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Epilepsy, Fibromalgia (and CFS?) the co allied disorders

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Cort, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

We usually think of allied disorders as being fibromyalgia, TMJ, IBS, GWS but what about disorders that suggest 'seizure' or CNS overactivation such as epilepsy. Does that fit in with CFS?

Perhaps...they didn't look for CFS but they did look for FM and they found it. People with epilepsy were more likely to report they had been diagnosed with a wide variety of disorders including FM, chronic pain, migraine, ADHD, anxiety, depression, asthma (asthma?).

Of course the depression and anxiety are probably expected to be higher than normal because they had a chronic illness but the ADHD, FM, migraine are interesting since all of these may be increased in CFS as well.

2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Migraine, Pain and CFS

Migraine is another disorder that suggests some sort of 'spasm' or overexcitation could be happening and allodynia - sensitivity to touch - is often found in FM. This study found that migraines sufferers who had allodynia tended to be diagnosed with CFS-like disorders (CFS, FM, IBS).....

The CFS-FM-Epileptic-Migraine group is intriguing. Could what disorder you get depend on where your blood vessels are effected? Or where the ANS goes out of whack (effecting the blood vessels?). I know someone who has gastrointestinal spasms. I have heard of people with esophageal spasms. Personally I think my muscles are kind of in a mild spasm.....

Its all conjecture - maybe wild conjecture - but what the heck

3. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I have long thought migraine with aura was related to ME (and also to seizure), so this is really interesting. Extrapolating from migraine, I can see how epilepsy could be related to ME. Also, some of those with severe ME are said to have seizures.

Funny that Raynaud's isn't on that list.

The asthma I find fascinating... does it have a vascular component at all?

4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    No scientist here and much appreciating conjecture (we have to) - migraine (but much stronger) epileptic type "fits" (controlled by the epileptic drug Gabapentin) and muscle spasms (body shook), and heart for no apparent reason "leaping" were all part of my own grizzly picture. So this is most interesting Cort.

See more popular forum discussions.