Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Epiglottis Swelling / Sore Throats

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Azriel, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Azriel

Azriel Senior Member

I've had epiglottis swelling on and off for a few weeks now, it seems to have started after I literally fell into a bad CFS episode triggered by spraining my ankle. I used to have sore throats, epiglottis swelling, and lymph node swelling on and off pretty frequently (several times a month) for years after I developed CFS. Those particular symptoms seemed to dissipate to just a few times a year, but now I'm getting a sore throat every week.

I'm going to probably head to the doctor today, but just curious if anyone else ever has epiglottis swelling? Also, anyone that has had CFS a long time had the sore throats go away after awhile and then return like this?

merylg, Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  2. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    My throat gets sore every time I overdo it. It's one of the warning signs that I need to stop and rest before things fall apart.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    merylg, Hutan, Azriel and 1 other person like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I have had episodes where the soft palate and the tissue at the back of the mouth & into the throat started to swell. I don't know if the epiglottis became swollen too.

I don't know if it's the same thing. With me it was a sort of slow, steady process. Sometimes taking am extra, different type of anti histamine & sucking ice cubes stops it but at others I've ended up in A&E.

It was worse when I first became ill but occasionally still happens & tends not to be quite so severe now.

Never really found a trigger. I reckon it was maybe a cumulative effect from a couple of different mild allergies affecting me at the same time.

Azriel likes this.
  4. Azriel

Azriel Senior Member

Ugh I tried to make an appointment today and they're all booked up at the office where my PCP is located. I'm new around here so I don't even know where else to try to call. Guess I'll have to do some searching.

5. Azriel

Azriel Senior Member

That's good you have that warning!

AndyPandy likes this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

exactly this AP and when im at my worst it is full on laryngitis and swollen glands

not had the epiglottis issue tho

AndyPandy and Azriel like this.
  7. Azriel

Azriel Senior Member

@Invisible Woman Yea it feels like more than just the epiglottis is swollen, like the back of the soft palate and definitely the back of the throat.

Well at least I know it'll go away since I keep getting it. Would be nice to know what's going on but I'm sure nothing would come back on the tests even if the doctor could fit me in :rolleyes:

Invisible Woman likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.