Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Epidemic outbreak of ME/CFS in Durban, South Africa?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Purple, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

I seem to recall vaguely that there was an outbreak of ME in Durban, South Africa. Perhaps some time in the 1960s or 1950s. Does anyone know more about this? My vague recollection is that there was a letter by a doctor from South Africa (or thereabouts) in a medical journal responding to a research article about ME, long time ago...

P.S. Moderator, if I have posted this in the wrong section of the forum, please feel free to move it.

2. The outbreak in Durban happened in 1955.

There was an article in the Lancet about it, available through ScienceDirect.

HILL, R.C.J., CHEETHAM, R.W.S. & WALLACE, H.L. (1959)
    Epidemic myalgic encephalomyelopathy - the Durban
    outbreak. Lancet, i, 689.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/13642847

3. Levi

Levi Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2425322/pdf/postmedj00263-0008.pdf

4. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
  5. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Thank you everyone. That's all I need - just a confirmation that there was an outbreak of ME in Durban. I see there were 140 cases in hospital staff. An acquintance of mine from South Africa asked me to tell them more about ME - I always find when raising awareness about ME, it's good to mention the outbreaks (makes people think) - and now I can mention there was one in Durban.

In the document Levi linked, there was also a small outbreak in 1954-55 in Johannesburg, 14 cases.

See more popular forum discussions.