• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EPA/DHA ratio?

leaves

So I have been taking a high EPA fish oil the last 2 weeks and I notice I am more tired than usual. What are your experiences? Should I opt for DHA instead?

leaves

Hey SOC :)
Yes that is a very good point! Actually I was feeling very hypoglycemic too, and my OI was worse too, so it is possible that that is also related then? Hmm too bad, this was supposed to WORK ! :-\
Would a lower dose be good or just not take it at all?
I have such dry eyes and this is the only thing I know that helps with it. The GLA increases seizures so thats out.

TheMoonIsBlue

Hi Leaves,

You may want to try different brands which contain different kinds of fish to see if that makes a difference. I've tried some brands over the years and some of them made me seriously exhausted within hours of ingestion. They were all quality brands so I think maybe 1. The different type of fish they use may make a difference -and- 2. Some fish oils are sitting on the shelves or in capsules for years before you take them, so could be rancid.

If I take too much it does make be bruise easily also.

Don't know if you have tried Salmon only fish oil. I also think Barlean's is a great brand because they are FRESHEST. Date the oil was bottled is stamped right on the bottle.

I have terrible dry eyes also!

FunkOdyssey

DHA and EPA have very different effects on the HPA axis. DHA is effectively neutral, while EPA suppresses HPA output (cortisol). You may very well find that a high DHA (like jarrow max DHA) or pure DHA oil does not have the same effect of making you feel tired -- many people have noticed this on another forum I frequent.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of this, have a look at this thread: http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/35557-fish-oil-hpa

leaves

Interesting all; thanks!! Especially the EPA and DHA axis stuff, Pokerplayer did you try the jarrow DHA supplement, i.e. do you feel you need EPA at all?

PokerPlayer

Hey Leaves,

I did try a dha only supplement, I tried taking higher dha than epa and it made me feel terrible cognitively, with brain fog and depression.

I definitely need epa more than dha. Just too much epa is bad, and too much dha is bad!

I go with 1320mg epa per day and 880mg dha per day. I take 1/2 of my fish oils with breakfast and 1/2 with dinner. Splitting the dosaging into 2 times per day helps a ton.

leaves

Hmm so I guess it is trial and error then.. Kind of convoluted this multidimensional optimization, I am more the binary type :)