Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Enzyme to break down soy

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Peyt, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know of an enzyme that helps break down or digest soy?
    Thanks

2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Soy is a bit of a strange beast. IIRC non fermented soy contains anti-trypsin factors that will disable your ability to break down proteins correctly (trypsin is an enzyme produced by the pancreas).

I am not sure if it's a matter of taking more trypsin via supplements, or instead avoid the soy-based products that might be higher in anti-trypsin factors. As far as I can remember fermented soy products (tempeh?) should not have this problem.

Sorry I don't remember all the details at the moment. You can look it up for more details.

3. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Most cultures that consume soy alter the soybeans by coagulation or fermentation, e.g. tofu, natto, tempeh, tamari.

PeterPositive likes this.
  4. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

What product contains trypsin? I tried to find it but nothing pulled up as far as an actual supplement.

5. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

I think you should look into proteolytic/pancreatic enzyme supplements.

6. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

The enzyme that I take has the following in it:
    (Peptidases‚ bromelain) (355‚017 HUT) (600‚000 PU) 641mg

Anything else?

7. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    The information I found that said soy was bad for you was based on research that's at least 15 years old. Newer info says soy is not a problem if you eat a varied diet. Unless you are consuming lots of raw soy beans you should be okay.

8. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Not sure if its old or new info but all i know is as soon as I eat soy my body starts to itch.
    The only reason I am considering it is because I have SIBO and currently there is 2 herbal formulas from metagenics that when tested side by side with the pharmaceutical antibiotics that are prescribed for SIBO they had slightly better results, but one of the formulas contains soy.. i need to take the formula for a whole month... this is why I am looking for a enzyme to take with it.

9. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Is there any evidence that an enzyme would actually help?

You could try taking an antihistamine to dampen the allergic response. Something like benadryl (diphenhydramine).

10. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion but that won't work since I actually have low blood histamine (based on blood plasma test)

See more popular forum discussions.