May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Enzyme Defense (formerly Virastop) anyone?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Mary, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I've read this is supposed to be effective against viruses and also helps the immune system. I was drawn to this product in particular because of the catalase, which may help with PEM.

So - does anyone have any experience with Enzyme Defense, formerly known as Virastop?

2. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Looks interesting. I know some formulas that seem similar but don't have catalase.

Mary likes this.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Looking back at my supplements diary, it looks like I tried Virastop on five different occasions over the last few years.

Typically I'd take it for around one week (at dose of 1 or 2 Virastop capsules per day), though on one occasion I took Virastop for 3 weeks in a row.

Interestingly, in my supplements diary, the notes I made about changes in my symptoms on these five separate occasions mention an increase in conscious awareness a few times: I wrote things like: "slightly more conscious awareness today" and "conscious attention a little better than normal". It is relatively rare for me to make such comments in my notes, so this may have been caused by Virastop.

I did not note any other changes in symptoms though.

I wonder if this apparent benefit of slightly increased conscious awareness was due to the antiviral effect, or due to one of the ingredients (eg catalase) that may be having a good effect on ME/CFS?

Virastop / Enzyme Defense contains 50 Baker units of catalase. I am not sure how that compares to the 600 mg of catalase that @Mya Symons used to combat exercise induced PEM (see his post here).

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Searching this forum, here is one report of Virastop really helping with symptoms, but at doses of 16 to 18 capsules per day!

Interestingly, they report a similar increase conscious awareness:

Mary likes this.
  5. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @Hip - thanks for all the links! I've been taking the Enzyme Defense for a few days, just increased it to 4 a day, mainly for my immune system. I've been fighting a bug for a couple of weeks now, and also get sick every time I crash. It's too soon to tell if it will help, but at least I'm not worse ...

It's hard to find a supplement with catalase. I think I stumbled across the one that @Mya Symons used: http://www.invitehealth.com/catalase-hx/best-product/?source=gsIH&gclid=COG_7eai8NACFZCJfgod1gMEYA

It has 600 mg. of catalase; I don't know how that compares to 50 baker units. This article explains what a baker unit is, though again I don't know how it compares to milligrams: http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/catalase/

It would be very pricey to take 16 or 18 Enzyme Defense caps a day, though I may try it some time for a short while just to see what would happen. Years ago NADH and l-carnitine (taken at separate times) boosted my energy and stamina a lot, for about a week or so - and then just stopped. Calcium pyruvate had the same effect for about 3 days but it hasn't happened since. I'm wondering if the same thing would happen with high-dose Enzyme Defense - a short intense boost which doesn't last. One way to find out ---

6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I looked on the UK eBay, and it has a few catalase supplements such as "Go Away Gray" and "Catalase Extreme" and others, which are sold for the purpose of preventing and reversing gray hair. Quoting one product's blurb:
    They probably don't work for fixing gray hair, but I might buy one of these to see what catalase does for ME/CFS.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Mary likes this.
  7. frederic83

frederic83 Senior Member

France
    How could enzymes be antiviral ?

8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I think the theory is that the proteolytic enzymes (proteases) in Virastop disable viruses, but I cannot find any scientific evidence demonstrating that this approach actually works.

It says here that:
    The above description is vague, but I think the "protective protein film" they refer to may be the viral capsid, which is the protein shell of a virus, which contains the viral genome. On top of the capsid shell, enveloped viruses (such as herpes viruses) also have an additional lipid layer covering the capsid, whereas naked viruses (such as enteroviruses) do not have this fatty layer, and just have the naked protein capsid shell.

The Billigmann 1995 study using enzymes to treat varicella zoster virus is this one. In the abstract, they do not really say much about the enzymes used, nor the mechanism of action.

I found some discussion here which is interesting:
    AAV = Adeno-associated virus.

Note that proteolytic enzymes are also called: protease, peptidase and proteinase.

frederic83 likes this.
  9. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @Hip - if you try one of these products, let us know you do. I considered the Catalase Extreme but reviews were poor for gray hair. Gray hair is not my issue but I guess I assumed it was an inferior product - but I could very well be wrong!

10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

From what I read, these catalase products don't really work at all for restoring hair color; it's all a bit of a con; however, provided the products do contain a good dose of catalase, they should be fine to try for ME/CFS.

Mary likes this.
  11. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Isn't catalase supposed to breakdown hydrogen perioxide which is what causes hair to turn grey?

12. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, that's the theory.

See more popular forum discussions.