Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Enzyme Behind Immune Cell Response Revealed"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by ivorin, Oct 13, 2017.

1. ivorin

ivorin Senior Member

Arginine methylation catalyzed by PRMT1 is required for B cell activation and differentiation

Study: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-01009-1

Article:
    https://scienmag.com/enzyme-behind-immune-cell-response-revealed/

Arginine methylation catalyzed by protein arginine methyltransferases (PRMT) is a common post-translational modification in mammalian cells, regulating many important functions including cell signalling, proliferation and differentiation. Here we show the role of PRMT1 in B-cell activation and differentiation. PRMT1 expression and activity in human and mouse peripheral B cells increases in response to in vitro or in vivo activation. Deletion of the Prmt1 gene in mature B cells establishes that although the frequency and phenotype of peripheral B cell subsets seem unaffected, immune responses to T-cell-dependent and -independent antigens are substantially reduced. In vitro activation of Prmt1-deficient B cells with a variety of mitogens results in diminished proliferation, differentiation and survival, effects that are correlated with altered signal transduction from the B cell receptor. Thus PRMT1 activity in B cells is required for correct execution of multiple processes that in turn are necessary for humoral immunity.

Learner1, MartinK, pibee and 4 others like this.
  2. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

From the Introduction:

From the discussion section:

Mady Hornig has stated previously (not published) that asymmetric dimethylarginine was notably low in their cohort findings.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Learner1, pibee, ScottTriGuy and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.