August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Entire USA ME/CFS research budget cut?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Kenny Banya, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Kenny Banya

Kenny Banya Senior Member

Australia
    Am I correct in saying that the entire USA research budget for ME/CFS budget has been removed?

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It is proposed that the entire CDC ME/CFS budget will be removed.
    However there is no such proposal for the NIH ME/CFS budget.

3. Kenny Banya

Australia
    OK, no problem.
    How does the CDC budget differ from the NIH in amount & purpose?

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The CDC budget is $5.4 million per year, which is very substantial in the ME/CFS world.

It is just for their internal research team though a lot of their research involves working with some expert clinicians and collecting data on their patients.

The NIH budget is mainly for researchers anywhere to apply grants. They also have an internal research programme also.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...s-regarding-the-cdc-budget.53233/#post-884926

5. Kenny Banya

Australia
    Do you know what other major cuts the CDC is copping?

6. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

CDC are the champs who tagged the lake Tahoe outbreak event as a "nothing to see here, it's a case of mass hysteria", I believe they came up with the dismissive label of chronic fatigue syndrome. Their specialty is infectious disease.

7. w john martin

w john martin

Public health authorities are far more responsive to infectious diseases than to illnesses attributed to metabolic dysfunctions. Conversely, diagnostic testing corporations benefit in proportion to the number of novel metabolites that can be tested in the pursuit of “precision medicine.” This may explain the current investments into the metabolomics of CFS. A downside of this approach is that it detracts from public health authorities having to address the underlying infectious cause of CFS and related illnesses. Patient support groups, which are better informed about stealth adapted viruses, could possibly help change the Government’s perspective. Published articles on stealth adapted viruses are available on the Internet.

See more popular forum discussions.