Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Enteroviruses - revisted

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by globalpilot, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@Jesse2233, in the last few days, I have been dissolving my two 40 mg capsules of dihydroquercetin (DHQ) in 15 ml of 40% ethanol (eg, vodka, gin or whisky), and then drinking that. DHQ is much more soluble in ethanol compared to water, so I think this should help improve absorption in the gut.

Interestingly enough, I am finding this DHQ dissolved in 40% ethanol makes me feel more tired within an hour or so of taking it (DHQ on its own did not do this). I think this is an indication that I am absorbing much more DHQ by this ethanol method (because I read that tiredness or drowsiness can be a side effect of quercetin, and I presume of dihydroquercetin too).

So DHQ dissolved in 15 ml (= one tablespoon) of vodka, gin, etc may be a good way to improve absorption. In a few days, I am going to increase my DHQ dose to 4 x 40 mg capsules, again dissolved in 40% ethanol.

By the way, Swanson slightly reduced the amount of DHQ in their capsules from 45 mg to 40 mg.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Jesse2233 likes this.
  2. Steve4Andrea

Steve4Andrea

@Hip If you are still looking at liposomal DHQ I encourage you to look at this protocol-

http://qualityliposomalc.com/process/index.html

He seems to have a process engineering background and has a pretty good handle on what it takes to make liposomes. You can get some liposomal encapsulation without the ultra sonic by just using a good blender, following his recipe and minding the temperatures.

For the DHQ his addition of ethanol to the formulation for the liposomal should enhance the solubility. I have made multiple batches of vitamin C with this protocol with great success (it has helped everybody but the one who is really sick), I have also done liposomal versions of ethanol extracts of herbal anti virals- unfortunately with no improvement in the effectiveness.

Abha and ScottTriGuy like this.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Thanks for pointing that out that website (I had actually come across it recently myself, and bookmarked it).

Would you have experience with making liposomes from supplements or drugs that are mostly insoluble in water, like curcumin, quercetin or dihydroquercetin (DHQ)? According to this study (which I have not yet understood properly), you get a much better liposomal encapsulation efficiency with lipophilic compounds like curcumin and DHQ (around 90% encapsulation efficiency), compared to water soluble compounds (which may only have a 10% encapsulation efficiency). So liposomal DHQ would probably work out very well.

Abha likes this.
  4. Steve4Andrea

Steve4Andrea

My personal experience and research has always been with/on soluble compounds, the protocol I referenced has the benefit of using both ethanol and water so it expands the list of possible soluble compounds. My simple understanding of liposomal delivery is to enhance the absorption of compounds that are "hard" for our bodies to absorb by encapsulating them in an easier to absorb substance (lecithin for home use). I'm not sure how you would calculate the final absorption of a compound like DHQ without extensive lab work, to me there are just to many variables- I was just looking for "better than before" results.

My quick assessment of the study you referenced is that they are evaluating a new or proprietary method for manufacturing liposomals and I'm guessing it will be beyond the capabilities of a "home" manufacturing setup. I'm not sure but I think that the % encapsulation efficiency mentioned is probably unique to their process and not transferable to the home method. The traditional way to measure home encapsulation is to add liposomal vit. C to a baking soda solution and measure the resultant "foam", I did some early testing but now I just go with the end result. If you are dealing with soluble compounds (like DHQ) then you should get pretty good encapsulation from the home method but an actual percentage would be tough to calculate.

Hip likes this.
  5. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

A little update on the dihyroquercetin. My son is responding well to it. He took 1 Swanson's capsule per day for a week and noticed an improvement. He's been on 1 cap twice a day for 5 days now and says his muscles feel better, and he has greater endurance. He has gone a lot of places and done a lot of things in the past few weeks and he hasn't crashed, hasn't even felt like he might. He was tired last night, but woke up fine. Hope it lasts.

Abha, Hip, shannah and 3 others like this.
  6. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Excellent!

Has anyone sourced a cheaper or bulk supply for it?

7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Good to hear that. Although that improvement probably appeared a little too fast for it to be due to an antiviral effect of dihydroquercetin (antivirals typically take months to work for ME/CFS). But it might be due to the ability of DHQ to improve athletic performance.

8. Never Give Up

Dr. Chia views it as a Mast cell stabilizer and thinks that Mast cells play a role in the body's response to enteroviruses.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Would you have a link to where you read that? I assumed Dr Chia was using DHQ because of its antiviral effects.

Never Give Up likes this.
  10. Never Give Up

No link, this is what he told us last month.

Hip likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.