• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Enterovirus(es)? Look at the symptoms list

jess100

I just read this because I'm researching what problems my contaminated well water might be causing. Enteroviruses can exist in water supplies. Sorry it's long-I took it directly from the webpage http://www.enterovirusfoundation.org/symptoms.shtml.

I will BOLD the symptoms that seem most common on this board (some symtoms I'm not sure about being common).
This line is the most telling: Enteroviral infections can trigger dormant viruses to reactivate, such as HHV6, Epstein Barr Virus, CMV, and chickenpox– all herpes viruses.

Symptoms Commonly Seen for Persistent NonPolio Enteroviral Infections
Listed here are common symptoms of persistent non-polio enteroviral infection. This list is from observations made by Dr. John Chia in his Infectious Disease Medical Practice in Torrence, CA.

• Respiratory and/or gastrointestinal symptoms or just flu-like symptoms (fevers, body ache, headache etc.). Few virus infections present with both respiratory and GI symptoms.
  • Upper respiratory tract symptoms such as runny and stuffy nose, sinus congestion and pain, sore throat, ear pain, difficulty in swallowing, loss of smell or taste.
  • Upper and lower gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, indigestion, reflux, abdominal bloating, upper and lower abdominal pain, cramps, constipation alternating with diarrhea.
  • Sudden weight loss due to significant stomach problem or decreased caloric intake, or weight gain due to inactivity.
  • Numbness in the limbs, muscle twitching and spasms. Some experience facial tingling and numbness.
  • Many types of headaches.
  • Bone, muscle, and/or joint pain. Foot pain is quite common.
  • Chest pain, palpitations and tightness

• Cough, shortness of breath, wheezing
  • Low blood pressure
  • Heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) or tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
  • Intermittent low grade fever, chills and night sweats.
  • Reproductive irregularities and pain.
  • Prostate issues and pelvic pain.
  • Blurred vision.
  • Herpangina (blisters or ulcers over the roof of the mouth). Ulcers may form in the mouth, throat and for females the vaginal/cervix area.

• Recurring yeast or bacterial infections due to a weak immune system.
  • Adrenal surge or dysfunction. High cortisol levels or low cortisol levels.
  • Psychological problems, anxiety, or depression.
  • Mental fatigue when trying to concentrate on tasks. Cognitive issues are very common as are short-term memory problems.
  • Sleep disturbance.
  • Seizures are rare but do occur.
  • Vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Many become anemic.

• Swollen Lymph nodes in the neck and in the armpits
  • Rash
  • Organs that can be affected by enteroviruses: heart, pancreas, lungs, liver, spleen, colon, ovaries, testicles, epididymis, thyroid, muscles, skin and the central nervous system.
  • Enteroviral infections can trigger dormant viruses to reactivate, such as HHV6, Epstein Barr Virus, CMV, and chickenpox– all herpes viruses.
  • Children can show symptoms, but parents may not recognize them especially if they are intermittent.
  • Children can have many of the same adult symptoms – a flu-like illness, fever, mouth ulcers, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, a rash, headaches, leg pain and weakness, muscle twitching, reflux, cognitive dysfunction and perhaps heart pain and arrhythmias. A diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis in children is possible after three months of illness.
  • An enteroviral infection should be suspected if the same symptoms recur every month.
About EVF | Treatment | Diagnostics | Research | News | Contact Us
Enterovirus Foundation, all rights reserved. Copyright ® 2009

halcyon

They really do seem like a good fit don't they? Probably why they are the most widely suspected pathogen in triggering ME other than EBV.