• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

enteragam for gut issues

BFG

Hey guys,

Have any of you tried this new prescription medical grade food? Its called enteragam and it is made from bovine serum immunogobulins to treat hiv enteropathy and ibs d. It was a former xymogen product called igg2000 df and a product called immunolin(which is discontinud), but i think it has changed and now is only a pscription product.

http://www.enteragam.com

I am going to try it and see if it helps my severe food intolance and gut issues.

Last edited:

globalpilot

Hey guys,

Have any of you tried this new prescription medical grade food? Its called enteragam and it is made from bovine serum immunogobulins to treat hiv enteropathy and ibs d. It was a former xymogen product called igg2000 df and a product called immunolin(which is discontinud), but i think it has changed and now is only a pscription product.

I am going to try it and see if it helps my severe food intolance and gut issues.

I have not tried it but my gastroenterolgoist recommended it might be worth a try. I forgot about it until you mentioned it.

BFG

Its expensive ifinsurance wont cover it, 375 for month supply. Im gonna try it anyway because i really need to stop my diarrhea. Let you guys know how it goes.

Ema

Hey guys,

I would be very cautious. $375 for a month's supply is really expensive for a trial if you haven't exhausted other options that might work as well and be much cheaper.

Are you taking probiotics? Saccharomyces boulardii, in particular, is very helpful for diarrhea.

You can still buy the Xymogen IgG 2000df product online for about $40. I tried it once, noticed nothing, but it was well before I had made any inroads into treating infections etc. But $40 is a lot better than $375.

Designs for Health GI Revive is also well reviewed by a lot of doctors for healing gut issues. It's expensive as well but at $60 is still a lot better.

If the other product was discontinued, it's a good bet that it wasn't working well enough to sell well. That's a big red flag to me.

I can't see how it justifies the high price tag myself unless they are hoping that enough people will be able to get insurance reimbursement. I wouldn't pay for it out of pocket personally.

Aileen

@BFG You might want to try a probiotic called Aline. It is a specific patented strain of Bifido infantis. There have been clinical trials showing it is helpful for women with IBS. I don't think it matters which form of IBS. It is available online or in pharmacies. Info here

I started a box 1 1/2 weeks ago. Tolerating it so far. I think it cost around $35 per box (1 month supply). It comes in blister packs. 7 capsules on a card, helpfully labeled with the days of the week. Take 1 per day.

BFG

@minkeygirl never heard of acacia. Did it work well for you?

@Ema I've always wanted to try s bouliardi. But I'm sort of cautious because I've read studies saying immunocompromised patients have had fungemia infection from s boulardii. And I think I count as immunocompromised.

@Aileen thanks for the suggestion I tried back then and had explosive diarrhea.

Due to my symptoms I think I might have sibo even though breath tests were negative.

Ema

The people who got fungemia seem to have gotten it from a central line or the like while in ICU and not from typical oral supplementation.

There are a couple of reports of people with perforated intestines having problems as well.

But obviously it is an individual decision.

But overall I think it is very safe and useful and is recommended by many immunologists.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@BFG I have ibs-c. Without acacia fiber I would not go. She says it works for diahrea too so worth a shot. But you have to build up slowly and use it daily.

BFG

Justa follow up on how i did with enteragam.

I only took it for one day and Took about one tenth of the recomennded dose. It sememed to give me a bit of energy for a little while and then it greatly increased my pins and needle and neuropathy feeling all over my body. This lasted for 4 days then started to die down. It may be just me becuase i had a similar rxn to colostrum. I called the enteragam maker and spoke with their md director and he recommended i discontinue. He also told me the product is high in glutamic acid, which makes sense becuase it also made my excitotoxicity worse.

The good thing the day after i took it i had a perfect looking stool whearas before that i was having diarrhea and undigested foods. Havnt had that in a long time. I wish i could continue, but thats another thing to cross off my list.

Hey guys,

Hello Everyone!!!
I just spotted this thread today, and I have to interject. I have had chronic IBS for about 15 years and I have tried everything from here to Europe (literally) to try and help with my pain and discomfort. It had completely taken over my life and definitely interfered with my mothering as my children were growing up. I started Enteregam 3 months ago and it has changed my life! My doctor has been giving me samples as the price is very expensive, but when that runs out I will just have to find a way to afford it. I would see if you all can get a few samples from your gastro because my life has seriously taken a 180 because of it. I'm a firm believer!! If I miss a day my husband and I both notice right away. He notices my energy drop but I of course feel it elsewhere. Regardless, it's definitely the ONLY thing that has helped me in years.

Hello Everyone!!!
I just spotted this thread today, and I have to interject. I have had chronic IBS for about 15 years and I have tried everything from here to Europe (literally) to try and help with my pain and discomfort. It had completely taken over my life and definitely interfered with my mothering as my children were growing up. I started Enteregam 3 months ago and it has changed my life! My doctor has been giving me samples as the price is very expensive, but when that runs out I will just have to find a way to afford it. I would see if you all can get a few samples from your gastro because my life has seriously taken a 180 because of it. I'm a firm believer!! If I miss a day my husband and I both notice right away. He notices my energy drop but I of course feel it elsewhere. Regardless, it's definitely the ONLY thing that has helped me in years.

That's amazing! I'm needing to know what the ingredients are and how many millegrams or grams there are and how often/day. My now grown adult children were directly affected too over the last 12 yrs by my IBS-D. I also have GERD (Caused by the IBS.). Have tried to get disability before. My husband became disabled at 49 three yrs ago, so I really need to be able to work. Taking Bentyl (dicyclomine) for 3 yrs., which still does not allow me much of a variety of good foods or stop the intolorable distracting pain. Finally got off the proton pump inhibitor on the second try by replacing it with 1/2 of a 75 mg anti-acid/Ranitidine in the morning and sometimes the other half later in the day recently and do not need any of that some days now. The third excruciating year of IBS, I found the book "IBS the First Year" by Heather Van Vorous;started the diet and then the acacia soluble fiber that Bifidus probiotic like. Are you able to eat whole grain? For me it's like an allergic reaction whenever there is too much gas all at once in the evening post dinner after an hr. Colon spasms and then traps even more gas and then the upper GI pain starts up, then I take GasX. I've been using probiotics and enzymes for years, with purified water and "Concentrace" minerals added back in. Went without wheat and dairy (except yogurt) years ago, higher level gas problem when would go back on them;could just be the jump in fiber from the wheat and die off from the VERY high probiotic yogurt. Had a colonoscopy years ago when the pain was much worse. I believe I have a leaky gut for years now and is why I feel especially sickly from any level of reoccuring gas. Have AZ's AHCCCS INSURANCE, so am limited on that coverage and $ in general. Thanks for posting. Please let me know more about Enteragam, can't find the answers after searching in depth on it.

Last edited:
Its expensive ifinsurance wont cover it, 375 for month supply. Im gonna try it anyway because i really need to stop my diarrhea. Let you guys know how it goes.

Found more info: Jarrow brand over the counter (otc at Sprout's or Fresh Vitamins) is 35% immunoglobulins/CAP, -the highest I could find; around $25 for 2 caps/day (70% immuno.) for 60 days...forget buying it out of pocket from Enteragam at that ridiculous rip off price.....2/day of Jarrow gets you 70% and 10 mg of the lactoferrin part of the colostrom. You can take even more than the 2 caps/day, but I would start low...though I would think the immunoglobulin would balance out some of the die off from the lactoferrin killing down overgrowths in the intestine. Would the lactoferrin be like using an antibiotic to where you would have to replenish the good bacteria? Just to mention, when I was taking proton pump inhibitor it was around (and stating that it saved me) $70,! for my insurance through a prescription as opposed to only less than $20. otc. Hope this helps big time ;).

@BFG Look into acacia fiber for your diarrhea. I have IBS-C but according to Heather, this works on both.

Here's the link to her site. It would be a cheaper way to see. iHerb has it and so does Amazon.

http://www.helpforibs.com/Default.asp
Acacia fiber is great for my IBS-D and makes BMs come out sweeter! Heather's is a great company I've ordered before from;There acacia has been in my local store Fresh Vitamins for a long time with some of there other products.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@sgcray Not sure where you are but you can get Heather's Tummy fiber cheaper at iHerb or Amazon subscribe and save has it for about $11.00 bucks.

Heather claims it works for both IBS-C and D.

I started on enterogam a week ago, not expecting much, and I am delighted. I feel really well! I have chronic Lyme, CFS, and some gut issues that might be SIBO or leaky gut. Anyway I have a significant overall improvement, not just gut, but energy, stamina, clarity, mood. Just one person for one week, but don't be afraid to try it is my opinion. Everyone is different and it is impossible to predict what will work

BTW, yes I am on long-term antibiotics. I massively supplement with probiotics, including S boulardi, fermented foods, and multiple brands/species/delivery systems for probiotics.

Hello Everyone!!!
Hi. Just saw your post and was curious how many packets a day you were advised to take? I'm trying it too and so far so good! :

helen1

Acacia powder (from Heather's) also worked extremely well for me. I had IBS-C for 32 years, quite debilitating, then started in on the acacia before each meal. It took a year or so, but have not had bloating or gas since then. That was 4 years ago.

It didn't cure all my gut problems of course, just the bloating and gas. Still had to deal with yeast and possibly leaky gut. .

Santino

Hello Everyone!!!
Did you have IBS-C or IBS-D?