• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

English ME outbreak during the 1950s

Persimmon

Does anyone have access to Andrew Wallis' legendary thesis on ME?

An investigation into an unusual disease seen in epidemic and sporadic form in a general practice in Cumberland in 1955 and subsequent years
Dr. A.L. Wallis
M.D. Thesis, Edinburgh University, 1957

(Not sure whether 1957 is correct - have seen different years attributed)

For those of you unaware, Dr Wallis was at the epicentre of one of the early outbreaks (concurrent with Royal Free outbreak) and documented it in his MD thesis (equiveland of a modern PhD).
This thesis includes the first account of an ME autopsy (yes, they found damage to the brain).
There's supposed to be other juicy stuff in there. Would love to read it, but haven't been able to get access.

I also wonder what happened to Dr Wallis...

ukxmrv

I had a look on ME Research's ME database but the paper wasn't listed. It does start with a 1956 paper.

Have you tried sending an email to them to see if they have a copy?

Gemini

Perhaps ask an Edinburgh University Librarian if there's a copy in the Library or in the files of the University Department that sponsored the thesis?

Interesting...would like to read it!

peggy-sue

An MD is not at all the same thing as a PhD, which is a pure research qualification; Medicine and science are completely different disciplines. Medics are NOT trained in science! (although some can be scientists) that aside, I've never heard of this research and my first thoughts are...

Could this be one of the things locked away at Kew under the official secrets act....?

Gemini

I also wonder what happened to Dr Wallis...

Dr. Hyde's "The Clinical & Scientific Basis of ME/CFS" has a photo of Dr. Wallis, summary of the thesis, & notation he went to N.S.W. Australia in 1958 then was not heard from.

He was registered with the N.S.W. Medical Board though according to the note...