1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Energy boost from Gabapentin/Neurontin

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ninan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

Ever since I started using Gabapentin a year and a half ago I've gotten this weird but wonderful energy. I started at 100 mg, and when I was at 200 I could get up from the bed where I had been lying for months. At 300 mg the energy effect disappeared. So I got down to 200 again, and there it was.

After som experimentation I've realized that there is a window which goes up about 100 mg every two months. If I stay inside that window I feel so very much better. I'm now at 1100 mg and dreading the day I reach the maximum dose which is 3600 mg.

I read at Healthrising that some doctors have found this effect:
    I also found it somewhere online a year ago, can't remember where, but someone wrote about having the same experience as I do. So, I'm looking for others. Did you try Gaba and have the same effect? Or no energy effect? How long did it last? And so forth.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I took Neurontin around 1999. I was on mega doses though. I though about 3200/day. I felt pretty good on it. I also used to hallucinate. I was driving one day and swore I saw the beach driving down a hill but it was the roof of a building

I also gained about 60 lbs in 8 months. Then one day it just stopped working. Then I had to taper off and lose the weight I gained.
  3. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

It sure has some side effects, @minkeygirl When I change the dose too quickly I get a high fever, anger attacks and sensitive skin. And sometimes I become manic. Write three songs and ten limericks a day. Not so normal, even for me. :)
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    When I first went on it @Ninan , my doc had me up the dose 800 mgs per day until I was up to the 3200. I felt like I was smoking pot every day which is normal for that stuff since it works on the brain. I sort of liked it but I couldn't function and had to live on microwave stuff until it settled in.

Are you not gaining any weight? My doc kept asking me if I was but my dad had just died and I was stress eating. He never told me that it caused weight gain while I just got fatter and fatter.
  5. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

That wasn't very smart of your doctor, was it? I think a lot of doctors underestimate Gaba. I know people who had permanent damage from stopping completely when at high doses. I only change the dose a 100 mgs every third or forth day or so.

I have gained and then lost and I'm not sure if my meds have anything to do with it. No extreme weight gain, at least.
  6. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    Neurontin or the generic Gabapentin is used off label for neuropathic pain. It affects different receptors.
    It is always best to start low and then build up. Usual dosage is 2X of 300mg in the morning, 5X 300 mg in the evening.

Here is the kicker. NOT ALL GENERICS ARE THE SAME....very important.!! There are different grades of generic drugs and pharmacies buy the cheapest to increase profits. These generics have different binders and fillers that may cause side effects. Some of the capusles of the Gabepetin can be twice as large as the original brand.

2. Each person metabolism is different as well so one generic may have no affect or you may experience side effects. Switch generic manufactures if Gabapetin doesn not work or you have side effects to the medication.. FDA rules require that generics can be manufacturer with a certain tolerance of the brand. I believe 85% -110% rule. So you may be getting less or you may be getting more with different fillers and binders.

3. You can request the pharmacy to fill the prescription with a certain generic brand that works for you. If you fine one that works for you, do not allow the pharmacy to change generic brands on refills. They normally buy the cheapest brand out there. So when patients complain fo side effects or the drug not working, is the brand or generic that are talking about....very important to be precise.

4. Greenstone mfr.. is on the higer tier level of generic manufacture for Gabapentin and seems to work similar to the original brand of Neurontin.

Eco
    barbc56 and rosie26 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.