• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Endoscopy without Sedative (edit: without throat spray, too) & Endoscopy Sedatives without Amnesia?

Gingergrrl

Hi, @Gingergrrl. Thank you! :) That's really nice. Today was going to be a consultation. Unfortunately, I had to cancel. I was too foggy yesterday to put most of the information together to talk to her or see straight. Woke up this morning feeling like I have the flu. I was going to try to go anyways, but it wouldn't have been worth my while since I wouldn't have been able to cover the things I needed to cover. So now I have to wait another month to see her. Thank you for thinking of me. You're in my thoughts, too. :hug: I'll try respond to your post on the other thread tomorrow.

Oops, I thought your endoscopy procedure was today and got it totally wrong! Am sorry you had to cancel the consult and I had to cancel an actual test two weeks ago b/c of an allergic reaction I had the night before so I totally relate and it will all happen in due time. Am not sure which other thread you are talking about so it can't be too urgent LOL. Just get some rest :hug:.

I had an endoscopy without sedation a couple of years ago.....but did have the throat spray. Was given the option but no one seemed to question my desicion or dissuade me.
Not pleasant but doesn't hurt and felt very quick even though biopsies taken. Strange sensation in the stomach as the tube writhes around. The doctor was able to see me straight afterwards.

I had an endoscopy without sedation a couple of years ago.....but did have the throat spray. Was given the option but no one seemed to question my desicion or dissuade me
Not pleasant but doesn't hurt and felt very quick even though biopsies taken. Strange sensation in the stomach as the tube writhes around. The doctor was able to see me straight afterwards.

Gingergrrl

As a follow-up, thanks to this great thread, I just called the ENT's office to inquire about the ingredients of the numbing spray and spoke to a different person who was familiar with it.

He said the spray contains "Tetracaine" and "Afrin" which is the numbing agent and a decongestant. I asked him if it contains adrenaline/Epi and he said no (but didn't sound confident in his answer.)

I looked up Tetracaine in my TMS ER protocols and it is on the list of the "Caine" meds to avoid. It says all Caine meds are bad (but some can be okay) but this one was on the column of meds to avoid which means there is no way I am going to try it.

I have no idea about Afrin or why she would use a decongestant for a procedure to look behind your tonsils? Stupid question but is Afrin a product created by Dr. Afrin (the MCAS doc) so I can assume it is safe or is it unrelated and pure coincidence in the name? Am going to Google it and see what it is.

Thanks to anyone who knows but am pretty sure that I will avoid this spray and realized that my EpiPen expired last Nov. I've never used it and do not intend to but am going to try to get a new one that is not expired.

ETA: After googling Tetracaine and Afrin, I can't imagine that I would tolerate either of these meds. Am now thinking this will just be a consult and the ENT can view my tonsils but if she does not understand MCAS or have an alternative, I may wait on the actual procedure (unless she sees something urgent which I am not expecting.)

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@Jennifer J I wanted to let you know that I had the scope procedure this morning without any numbing spray and it was really easy. However, it was a scope that only went behind the tonsils and did not go down the throat itself so probably is not the best comparison. The ENT I saw was great and after a streak of horrific doctors, I now am on a streak of finding really good ones.

I told her first thing about my MCAS and showed her the packet from TMS and she agreed it would not be safe for me to use the Tetracaine numbing spray. She said that many patients actually prefer not to use the spray and she has had the procedure herself and prefers it without the spray so that was enough for me.

The scope is much bigger than a thread (no idea why my new PCP said this!) and is more like a thick silver wand with a camera on the end. She dipped it in hot water first so it didn't get fogged up and then when it was behind my tonsil, she had me make certain sounds like "ee" or "he" which prevented me from gagging which worked and was uncomfortable but not painful at all.

I explained to her that I had two main reasons for doing this. One is that my left tonsil has been very uncomfortable for about a year (since my MCAS really started) and two that b/c of the auto-antibody that I have correlating with cancer, I just wanted to be sure the tonsil was not inflamed b/c of cancer. Stanford had initially said that some people do full body scans to check for cancer with this antibody but I am not going that overboard and doing all that right now. The lung scan (which showed my lungs, thyroid and thymus are all okay) is good enough for me right now.

She showed me all the pictures of the tonsil and throat (from the procedure) and said there is definitely not cancer b/c if I've had these symptoms for a year, it would be growing and visible and nothing whatsoever was there. She said it is not actually any bigger than the other tonsil, even though it feels that way, and she could see where I had the tonsil abscess (during mono in 2012) which turned black and a tiny piece of the tonsil fell off leaving a hole at that time.

She said food or debris can get caught in the hole (sorry for TMI :eek:) and that could be what I am sometimes feeling (even though nothing like that showed up on the scope.) She said if I gargle with warm salt water 2x/day for the next month it should help the inflammation but otherwise it was all good which was a relief. She said if we wanted the absolute gold standard, she would do a CT scan of my neck but since I am allergic to contrast dye, there is no point and she also did not feel it was necessary at this time.

So, now I have an great ENT for future issues if I need one and am confident the swelling is from MCAS. She said it is not uncommon to have unilateral swelling (since it is always the left side of throat, face, eye, etc, when I get a reaction) and didn't seem worried about this from a cancer perspective. So one less thing to worry about and in case this helps anyone else, you definitely can do this particular procedure without numbing spray.

Sorry to hog up your thread and will not say anything more except to wish you good luck when you do your procedure in a few weeks (months?)

Jennifer J

@Gingergrrl, oh, such good news to read what you wrote. I'm so relieved for you, as you are even more so relieved to have this done, to have some answers and to know it's not cancer! I'm happy for you. I'm glad you found a good ENT and other doctors, and things are coming together. She sounds great. Very thorough.

Thank you for sharing in detail, it is helpful to me and I'm sure to others, too. I didn't think it was TMI, and found it interesting. It helps to know why and what may be happening, and what can be done about it.

She said food or debris can get caught in the hole (sorry for TMI :eek:) and that could be what I am sometimes feeling (even though nothing like that showed up on the scope.) She said if I gargle with warm salt water 2x/day for the next month it should help the inflammation but otherwise it was all good which was a relief.

Don't you love easier and less worrisome (no medications involved) solutions!

There's more I want to respond to you. I'll have to do it another day. Thank you for letting me know all this! This is good news. :hug:

Valentijn

She said food or debris can get caught in the hole (sorry for TMI :eek:) and that could be what I am sometimes feeling
I had stinky crud getting stuck in mine when it was swollen. Though some of it was coming from under the skin, so probably white blood cells. Anyhow, I used a mirror, flashlight, and the tip of a thermometer to pry the crud out, or press nearby to push it out.