1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Endogenous Retroviruses and MS - New Pieces to the Puzzle

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by shannah, Aug 29, 2013.

1. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Interesting piece of research. Could something similar be happening in us???
    Endogenous retroviruses and multiple sclerosis--new pieces to the puzzle

Kari K Nissen, Magdalena J Laska, Bettina Hansen, Thorkild Terkelsen, Palle Villesen, Shervin Bahrami, Thor Petersen, Finn S Pedersen and Bjørn A Nexø
    For all author emails, please log on.
    BMC Neurology 2013, 13:111 doi:10.1186/1471-2377-13-111
    Published: 28 August 2013
    Abstract (provisional)

The possibility that retroviruses play a role in multiple sclerosis (MS) has long been considered; accumulating findings suggest this to be most likely in the form of human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs). A genetic test series of fifty endogenous retroviral loci for association with MS in Danes showed SNP markers near a specific endogenous retroviral locus, HERV-Fc1 located on the X-chromosome, to be positive. Bout Onset MS was associated with the HERV-Fc1 locus, while a rarer form, Primary Progressive MS, was not. Moreover, HERV-Fc1 gag RNA in plasma was increased 4-fold in patients with recent history of attacks, relative to patients in a stable state and to healthy controls. Finally, genetic variations in restriction genes for retroviruses influence the risk of MS, providing further support for a role of retroviral elements in disease. We speculate that endogenous retroviruses may activate the innate immune system in a variety of ways, involving the host proteins, TRIMs, TLRs, TREXs and STING. Observations in HIV-positive patients suggest that antiretroviral drugs can curb MS. Thus, these new findings regarding the etiology and pathogenesis of MS, suggest alternative ways to challenge autoimmune diseases.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2377/13/111/abstract
    cigana and snowathlete like this.
  2. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Maybe getting a virus like EBV sets off a permanent reaction to HERVs or maybe it integrates with the chromosone in the genetically vulnerable
  3. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH

Interesting Name: wastwater, why do you call yourself that?

GG
  4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Its a lake I like in the uk
    rosie26 likes this.
  5. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Interesting that its on the X chromosome which of course may explain why more women get MS and other autoimmune conditions than men. I think HERVs may well be involved in ME/CFS and findings elsewhere could well become relevant.
    shannah likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.