1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Emerging Role of Autoimmunity in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by MeSci, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Just the abstract so far:

SickOfSickness, allyb, Tito and 5 others like this.
  2. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    Tnx, I will send this to my rheumatologist.
    aimossy likes this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I'm VERY interested in the full article, but don't want to pay for it. Has anyone been able to find a copy somewhere on the internet?
    aimossy and allyb like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    allyb likes this.
  5. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

aimossy and A.B. like this.
  6. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    This is soooooo worth reading and taking in, I have only read parts and can't take it in properly.I wonder what professor Edwards makes of it. Or anyone who has the good science brain!
    There is lots to take in.:)
    rosie26 likes this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

I had a look at the paper. The introductory sections give quite a good review of some of the evidence for autoimmunity being relevant to ME. Later sections of the paper, however, seem to focus on fashionable ideas that have largely proved unhelpful, or at least never really made sense and never been supported by any evidence, to my way of thinking - molecular mimicry, T cell autoreactivity and a non-antibody mediated role for B cells. They actually quote our use of rituximab as support for the idea that there is a non-antibody mediated role for B cells but the data from use of rituximab are clearly against this conclusion. The delayed response indicates an effect on autoantibody levels, not help to T cells. Sadly this seems to be a rewrite of the received wisdom that gets perpetuated in the review journals. Still, at least I am all in favour of airing of ideas about autoimmunity in ME.
    MeSci, justy, aimossy and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.