• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Emergency financial services??

oh yeah

"I found where SOAR has the highest success rate in the country. 96% success for Ssi applications! philadelphia. Of course you still need some kind of medical records."

so I wonder if I could be homeless in Philly while I applied for SSI... from my understanding it usually takes 3-4 months to get a decision

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
I found an article... but it is outdated!

This is a list of states that have cash assistance, but some states have been cut so you would need to double check.

http://www.cbpp.org/research/family...ance-programs-are-weakening-despite-increased

It is great that you are looking into this. I think you will be able to find somewhere good for yourself if you keep looking.

A lot of these programs do ask you to prove address -- but I'm sure there must be a way around this, maybe by going through a homeless agency. Many other homeless people before you have done this so there must be a way :)

It is difficult to find natural holistic care on medicaid. I totally agree with you about that though. I am too allergic to meds.

I have met people who go to the psych docs, fill the prescriptions, and throw them in the trash. I can't recommend anyone to do it, but I just know it happens.

Some of the general relief programs have time limits, but they are local not federal. I assume you could go to one ara for a while, get general relief for a little while, then move to another area and apply there.

There is also a program called "interim assistance while waiting for SSI" that may be available in more states. Once you get some medical records you could do that.

SSI is the same criteria as SSDI. It usually takes 2-3 years. SOAR averages just 3 months for approvals. Yes, you could be homeless in philadelphia :) You just want to think about finding a doc who is willing to help your application and believes you are disabled. be patient and willing to keep trying you will find someone in time. You could contact soar programs and see if any of them are connected to doctors - a lot of soar programs are connected to mental health agencies.

You may also be able to find doctors at teaching hospitals. I have heard that is a good way to find medicaid doctors or get a diagnosis if you are on medicaid.

For both cfs and depression, social security would be looking for evidence that the condition is severe. that is important.

I don't want to discourage you, i do believe that getting on for cfs is difficult and finding a doc who believes in and documents cfs, and finding one on medicaid.

You may wind up being diagnosed with something else. some people with cfs get on disability for other conditions.

Last edited:

KitCat

please see my last post.

I realized one thing I haven't said.

Once you have documentation, then you will have a lot more options! :)

There are medicaid programs in most, maybe all, states for people with disabilities. There are also a lot more general relief and interim assistance programs.

It might be worth trying to talk to people in other states and see if any of them have supportive doctors who take medicaid.

I still think that relentlessly contacting homeless service programs everywhere is the best way to find out what is available. those are the people who would know what is available in their areas.

If I were you, I would consider trying to collect medical records in japan while I was still there. I am assuming it will be harder to do once you are back int the states? It doesn't matter if the doctor doesn't believe in cfs, if they diagnosed you with depression or something else, it may still be helpful.

Last edited:

KitCat

please scroll up this is post #3

I had one other idea. You could enroll in school and live off student loans for a while. I don't know if you already have a degree in the US. If you don't have a degree you could enroll very easily in a community college. If you already have a degree than you'd have to actually apply somewhere which would be a pain.

This is a super imperfect plan :) it will cause problems for your disability case, and I don't know if you are well enough to go to school. Some programs are all online. Anyway, it's not the greatest plan, but could put a little immediate money in your pocket while you figure out next steps.

If you remain poor forever, you don't have to pay loans back, but if you recover and go back to work above a certain amount you have to start paying them back.