• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Emailing a Guardian writer

frozenborderline

dawn.hayley.foster@gmail.com
i emailed this guardian writer, who is critical of the tory austerity, etc... and critical of the way mental illness is being treated, to see if she'd write something about how badly they are treating ME/CFS. Worth a shot. feel free to email her as well

I'm very tired so that's why thoughts are scattered rn... but I am more confident in her than other guardian writers. Idk if the writers can dictate their own content or if it is dictated by the gov't to some extent --i know that sounds paranoid but why else would the guardian have only articles praising pace trial???

i think this is a promising lead, guys, I can't sell it too much rn unfortunately

I'm not in the UK anyway but any good press is important

ChrisD

It's definitely worth a go but it seems that there is some kind on injunction on this story, perhaps imposed by science media centre on all UK media outlets - pure speculation but would love to be a fly on the wall for conversations about writing about the ME scandal in house.....

frozenborderline

she follows me on twitter and respects some of my writing on mark fisher and capitalism, so maybe she will respect me enough to tell me that "inside info" so to speak

doubt it tho

CFSTheBear

Dawn Foster is a very good writer on disability issues, and I would be surprised if she had not heard of this issue. It may be worth pointing out some quotes from the recent parliament debate about PACE trial.

However - it's probably best to nip any conspiracy theory type stuff in the bud - the government have little to no input on any of the stories the Guardian run, to suggest this just makes us sound completely discredited as patients. Whether certain journalists are more partial to running official quotes verbatim without doing any extra digging is certainly up for debate, but these kind of broad-brush statements don't help anyone.

Best of luck - hope you get a response.

frozenborderline

Dawn Foster is a very good writer on disability issues, and I would be surprised if she had not heard of this issue. It may be worth pointing out some quotes from the recent parliament debate about PACE trial.

However - it's probably best to nip any conspiracy theory type stuff in the bud - the government have little to no input on any of the stories the Guardian run, to suggest this just makes us sound completely discredited as patients. Whether certain journalists are more partial to running official quotes verbatim without doing any extra digging is certainly up for debate, but these kind of broad-brush statements don't help anyone.

Best of luck - hope you get a response.
I didn't say anything of the sort to dawn , don't worry. perhaps that's a conspiracy theory, but the more likely reality is that both the gov't and private interests tend to exert some sort of pressure on the press, this is true even in representative democracies. Dawn is interested in the writings of mark fisher, who was very critical of capitalism and the current State, so I would think that she would have an interesting critical take on all of this

gtg to bed now, tho, i've exhausted myself with this little bit of writing