1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Email from Dianne Feinstein

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by minkeygirl, Dec 9, 2013.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    Got this today email today from Senator Dianne Feinstein:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the study and classification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). I appreciate the time you took to write and welcome this opportunity to respond.

First, please allow me to extend my sympathy to individuals suffering from ME. I recognize that more research is needed in order to improve diagnosis and treatment of this illness.

At its October 3-4, 2012 meeting, the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee (CFSAC) recommended that the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) convene a workshop to create a case definition of ME and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). In response to this recommendation, the Secretary of HHS has asked the Institute of Medicine (IOM) to convene a study group to evaluate the different definitions of ME and develop diagnostic criteria for this illness. The study group will consider existing diagnostic criteria, including the 2011 ME International Consensus Criteria and the 2003ME/CFS Canadian Consensus Definition, as it establishes its recommendation.

Please know that I have made note of your opposition to the IOM study group. I believe it is important for researchers to take into account the views of patients as they seek to improve care and diagnostic standards, and the IOM has stated that it will consult with ME patients and providers during the study group process. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind as I review legislation related to this issue in the Senate.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator
    ahimsa, Nielk, heapsreal and 2 others like this.
  2. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    @minkeygirl Thanks for posting this. I will call her office today and chime in as well about my opposition.

Can I post your note from her on my Facebook page for others to see?
    beaker and SickOfSickness like this.
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    NP. Post it just leave my PR info off. I tried to get her letter head on it but it won't let me copy it. I put it in Ital to separate it from my comments.
    Izola and beaker like this.
  4. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    beaker likes this.
  5. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    I got the same response from a Senator. It's important to point out to them the deception of HHS trying to make it seem that they are doing this in bona fide response to CFSAC's recommendation.
    alex3619 likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Agreed. The HHS responded to the CFSAC recommendation but its not in accordance with the CFSAC recommendation.
    Nielk and justinreilly like this.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    HHS is lying by omission. They left off part of the recommendation.
  8. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    And twisted the rest.
    Izola likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.