• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ellispot results

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Not my results but just wondering if you can have 'more' or 'less' positive results - does a higher number = more active or more recent infection or just a better immune response?

My family members results are +2 Bb fully antigen
+5 Bb Osp mix
0 Bb LFA1

also what do he different names mean? Their CD57 is good at 197.

msf

Hi Justy, I think the answer to your question would be yes. I think 2 is used as the cut off by the makers of the test, although they initially used 3 until they found that 2 gave better sensitivity (presumably without too much loss of specificity).

As far as I understand it, the different names refer to different parts of the outer surface of the Borrelia microbe. So fully antigen would be the whole thing (I think) while OSP stands for outer surface protein. I'm not sure about LFA, but I'm sure someone on here knows.

Ema

LFA-1 is leukocyte function associated antigen 1.

It seems to have something to do with an autoimmune response but I'm not clear on the details.

ETA maybe this is helpful:

"The Lyme-Disease can trigger an autoimmune reaction. The surface antigen OSP (Outer Surface Protein) A is highly similar to the human protein LFA-1, which can lead to misdirection of the immunological reaction against the host."

Last edited:

msf

Hi Justy, I doubt anyone on here can answer your question definitively - if it is from Infectolabs, doesn't it give their interpretation of the results? When I had the Yersinia one done, which came back as +2, it said something like 'this is a borderline positive result for Yersinia'.