1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Elimination diet

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Spinney Lainey, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Spinney Lainey

Spinney Lainey Senior Member

London
    Anyone tried this to test for food intolerances? If so, how did you do it?
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I have done it to figure out what I can eat with my IBS.

There are a few ways but just eliminate one thing at a time for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

If you think it's gluten do that then.
  3. Spinney Lainey

London
    Ah, ok. I was thinking it was the opposite way round and you had to cut pretty much everything out and then bring things back in....
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    You can do that. But what would you eat while figuring it out?

Either way you get the same results. And btw, this is just how I did it with my ibs. I did it on my own. Just common sense.
  5. Spinney Lainey

London
    So what if there is more than one offending food? How would you know what's doing what?
  6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    Then stop eating everything and add something one at a time. As I said, I did it my own way for my own reasons. Not for food sensitivities issues. Google it and see what you find.
  7. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I don't think it works to eliminate one thing. It's very uncommon to have only one food sensitivity, if you have them. Elimination diets are the gold standard, but how do you do one?

This is a hard question. I went on a paleo diet, and after a few weeks also went off eggs, and I got tremendous relief. But what if I was one of the people allergic to, eg, beef? You have to make up your own way to do it, according to your best guesses + what you can tolerate doing.

Another approach would be to do some allergy testing, and then remove all of the 'bad' foods and see what happens. Just yesterday a friend recommended Bio Tek's testing as being fully accurate for her. But that has to be done through a doctor, and I have no idea about cost.
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.