• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elevated Inflammatory Markers and Agression in Humans

natasa778

Elevated Plasma Inflammatory Markers in Individuals With Intermittent Explosive Disorder and Correlation With Aggression in Humans

Importance Neurochemical studies in human aggression point to a modulatory role for a variety of central neurotransmitters. Some of these neurotransmitters play an inhibitory role, while others play a facilitatory role modulating aggression. Preclinical studies suggest a facilitatory role for inflammatory markers in aggression. Despite this, to our knowledge, no studies of aggression and inflammatory markers have been reported in psychiatric patients or in individuals with recurrent, problematic, impulsive aggressive behavior.

Objective To test the hypothesis that plasma inflammatory markers will correlate directly with aggression and will be elevated in individuals with recurrent, problematic, impulsive aggressive behavior.

Design, Setting, and Participants Case-control study in a clinical research program in impulsive aggressive behavior at an academic medical center. Participants were physically healthy individuals with intermittent explosive disorder (n = 69), nonaggressive individuals with Axis I and/or II disorders (n = 61), and nonaggressive individuals without history of an Axis I or II disorder (n = 67).

Main Outcomes and Measures Plasma levels of C-reactive protein and interleukin 6 were examined in the context of measures of aggression and impulsivity and as a function of intermittent explosive disorder.

Results Both plasma C-reactive protein and interleukin 6 levels were significantly higher in participants with intermittent explosive disorder compared with psychiatric or normal controls. In addition, both inflammatory markers were directly correlated with a composite measure of aggression and, more specifically, with measures reflecting history of actual aggressive behavior in all participants.

Conclusions and Relevance These data suggest a direct relationship between plasma inflammatory processes and aggression in humans. This finding adds to the complex picture of the central neuromodulatory role of aggression in humans.

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleID=1790358

Hip

This is extremely interesting. It shows yet another correlation between brain inflammation (ie, an activated immune system — which of course may be caused by chronic infection) and mental state or behavioral changes.

A link between brain inflammation and depression has already been established (see here).

I just came across this Brain-Immune website recently that covers the research on how the immune system can affect brain function.

Last edited:

acer2000

There is no question there is a correlation. My brief trial of IVIG made me feel extremely anxious and irritable. It faded between infusions. I had the same effect from very high dose VSL #3. Cancer patients sometimes report similar effects from immune based therapies. INF-alpha is well known for inducing depression.

Hip

Cancer itself may produce an inflammatory state in the body, 1 and since inflammation has also been found in anxiety disorder, 1 it is quite possible that cancer may biochemically precipitate anxiety states.

This is very unfortunate, because obviously those who learn they have cancer may naturally feel anxious, due to having to mentally deal with this; but if your body is at the same time also creating anxiety by biochemical means as well, then you have two causes of anxiety hitting you at the same time: one psychological and one biochemical, and so you will double your suffering from anxiety.

I cannot find the link at the moment, but a while ago I read some research that suggested cancer patients should be given anti-inflammatories which reduce brain inflammation, in order to prevent the inflammation-induced mental symptoms like anxiety and depression arising from the the inflammation that cancer causes.

Incidentally, if anyone is suffering from anxiety disorder, you may be interested to know that I was able to fully eliminate my own severe generalized anxiety disorder using only anti-inflammatory supplements. Full details on this thread:

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!