• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

elevated Coxsackie virus -- how high is high?

halcyon

There is no mention on the Enterovirus Foundation website that complement fixation is suitable for testing the chronic enterovirus infections in ME/CFS patients.
Yeah it definitely isn't. If I understand the CF test methodology correctly, it will only ever be positive if there is a significant amount of virus in the blood at the time of the blood draw because it's measuring complement bound to antibody-antigen complexes.

And especially surprised to see lots of high coxsackievirus A titers.
The LabCorp coxsackie A test is an IFA antibody test so the interpretation is different from the other testing methodologies. Her results probably just show good immunity to past coxsackie A infections. We'd have to see the interpretation information for LabCorp's coxsackie B assay to tell if her results are significant or not.

I did not know Dr Chia also uses Cambridge Biomedical for enterovirus testing. Do they perform the same type of enterovirus tests as ARUP Lab? And are they any cheaper, would you know? I would like to take the ARUP tests for coxsackievirus B and echovirus, but at $500 each, that is a little bit too much money to pay out of pocket, especially as the results will not be of any particular help to me.
Cambridge Biomedical only offers the echovirus panel, testing for the same 5 serotypes as ARUP, whereas ARUP has both coxsackie B and echovirus panels. The Cambridge Biomedical test is a microneutralization assay, same as ARUP. Sorry I'm not sure what the price is.

Clerner

And especially surprised to see lots of high coxsackievirus A titers. I did not think it was possible to have a chronic coxsackievirus A infection; only coxsackievirus B forms chronic infections, as far as I am aware.
My coxsackie A and B done at Lab Corp. Coxsackie A7 1:1600,
A9 1:1600
A16 1:1600,
A24 1:1600
Coxsackie B 1,2,3,4,5,6 flagged high but between1:16 to 1:32
Confused about high coxsackie A? Requires equilibrant? What are symptoms of Coxsackie A? Any help appreciated.

Clerner

only coxsackievirus B forms chronic infections, as far as I am aware
My Coxsackie B titers don't seem high enough for chronic infection. Coxsackie B 2 is highest with 1:32. I see from above oxymatrine tablets can be purchased it Houten Rx? Is is only for coxsackie B? This is the only virus(Cox A/b) that I am not well versed on. Thanks for any thoughts!

Clerner

the Coxsackie A's (IgG).
Coxsackie A7 IgG 1:400 High

Coxsackie A9 IgG 1:400 High

Coxsackie A16 IgG 1:400 High

Coxsackie A24 IgG 1:800 High

Coxsackie Virus Group B Ab
Coxsackie B-1 Ab 1:64 High
Coxsackie B-2 Ab 1:16 High
Coxsackie B-3 Ab 1:16 High
Coxsackie B-4 Ab 1:16 High
Coxsackie B-5 Ab 1:32 High
Coxsackie B-6 Ab 1:32 High
Your results from lab corp are similar to mine
All same 4 strains of Coxsackie A high like yours, but mine 1:1600! Similar coxsackie B with B 2 being 1:32, others 1:16. Wonder why these are flagged high? Have you found any more info on coxsackie A?

Timaca

I have had testing for Coxsackie B and A. Coxsackie B has been elevated from time to time (>= 1:640 which was as high as ARUP lab measured.) I was on Equilibrant and I have been off Equilibrant for years now. We've seen Coxsackie B reactivate.....caught it in the labs going from essentially normal to as high as the lab measures in 3 weeks time. And yes I felt awful during that time.

Am I doing anything for it now? No, not really. I suspect it and other pathogens are the cause for my CFS. However, I am feeling much better than I used to feel, in general..... I did have a reactivation of something in January this year. Not fun..