• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Electrolyte Chews

JAH

Hi Everyone,

I have recently been using electrolyte chews- chewable combination of sugar and electrolyes - and really like them. I keep some in my car, and when I feel dehydrated I chew one and drink some water, and find that it helps. (any activity always makes me feel dehydrated) I've been trying clif bloks (by the clif bar people) and honey stinger. I like the honey stinger a little better (though sometimes gives me a minor headache), but the clif bloks has less sugar, for people sensitive to that.

Handy when you're out or can't mix an electrolyte drink, check 'em out,

jah

Calathea

The quantity of actual electrolytes seems too low to be worth anything, though. Considering that the recommended amount of potassim is 3,500mg in a day, 20g from three chews is pretty much pointless. Have you tried simply eating a bit of candy with water to see if it has the same effect?

I'm now wondering which sources of food which are easily carried around for emergencies would have decent quantities of electrolytes. Here's a Nakd Cashew Cookie bar, for example. It's just made up of raw dates and cashews.

Weight: 35g
143 cal, 8g fat, 15g carbs, 4g fibre, 4g protein
66mg magnesium, 432mg potassium, 56mg sodium, meaningful amounts of B vitamins and other minerals

This is the sort of thing I keep in my handbag for emergencies, and it generally does me quite well. Obviously you want something relatively small, non-perishable, individually wrapped.

caledonia

I have to drink electrolytes four times a day. I make my own mixture of magnesium, salt and vitamin C.

If I go out, I do one of the following - put my mixture in an empty water bottle. Add the water later.
Or put my mixture in a water bottle and add water. Or just bring some salt in a little tiny jar, which can be added to a glass or bottle of water.I haven't done this yet, but I could also put my electrolyte mixture in a small ziplock bag and add that to a glass or bottle of water.

Needing a hit of sugar or feeling like sugar revives you sounds like a hypoglycemia/blood sugar issue to me vs. an electrolyte issue. Of course, it's possible to have both going on. In which case, for me, food is preferable. There are lots of recipes for homemade protein bars on the net, if you need to be careful of ingredients.

JAH

The quantity of actual electrolytes seems too low to be worth anything, though. Considering that the recommended amount of potassim is 3,500mg in a day, 20g from three chews is pretty much pointless. .

I agree that the amounts seem trivial, but I notice a difference- it does satisfy some of the salt cravings,
J

Calathea

I wonder if salty sweets would do the same for you, then? Licorice is an obvious example, that's salted quite often.

L'engle

moogle
I get a powerade zero if I'm out somewhere. The sucralose probably isn't great but i don't drink it that often. coconut water is really good but tends to be pricey.