• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eleanor Stein et al How to Improve Therapeutic Relationships between ME patients and practitioners

Firestormm

How to improve therapeutic encounters between patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Health Care Practitioners

3 September 2013

Eleanor Stein MD, FRCP(C)
Psychiatrist in Private Practice and
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Email: espc@eleanorsteinmd.ca

Eva Stormorken RN, CRNA, MNSc, PhD Candidate
Independent Contractor, Norway
Email: Eva.Stormorken@online.no

Bengt Karlsson RN, Family Therapist, Dr. Polit - Professor in mental health care at Buskerud University College, Faculty of Health Sciences, Norway
Email: Bengt.Karlsson@hibu.no

This paper, 3 years in the writing is a contribution towards improving the notoriously problematic therapeutic relationships between patients with ME/CFS and health care practitioners.

My patients continually tell me of problems they encounter with other practitioners (and I’m sure sometimes with myself).

Eva Stormorken a nurse and PhD candidate who runs groups for ME/CFS and myself have listened to our patients and colleagues and have highlighted the most common challenges that arise. We then formulated solutions to those challenges.

Dr. Bengt Karlsson, a nursing academic, helped us find language to describe our patient centered, collaborative approach.

Like the Psychiatric Guidelines paper I wrote in 2005, we submitted this paper to several journals and it was declined by all.

Likely this is in part due to it being a theoretical paper and not research based. We feel having a strong therapeutic relationship is an essential prerequisite for good clinical care. We hope the paper will be widely read and the hypotheses tested by others.

Click here to read the paper.

Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Elenor Stein goes against the clique of Psychiatry. I have felt she is on our side all the way and works to separate typical Psychiatry takes on ME vs Depression based patients. In other words she weeds out the Bunk that we hear all the time from the Psychiarty Docs.and reseach coming from them.. So It doesn't surprise me that she would take the time to follow up on this work in terms of Patients and their Medical personel relationships. I have not read this paper yet but will do so tonight.
Gary K

peggy-sue

But it's still all just about flannelling the patients!
Listen to them, :thumbsup: validate their feelings, :thumbsup: admit there is controversy :p ...

before going on to impose your own beliefs in the psychosocial model.:devil: