1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Eileen Holderman's e-mail to CDC

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Nielk, May 13, 2014.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    The following e-mail was sent by Eileen Holderman to Dr. Unger (CDC)

Sushi, Marty, SilverbladeTE and 10 others like this.
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I guess the CDC is attempting to look good by making us aware that they actually realised May 12 is our awareness day (that did surprise me that they'd paid us that much attention to notice that). Pity they dont understand that it takes far more then that to make them look good to us. Nothing other then accepting just how serious this illness is and making their website represent this will do.
    minkeygirl and Nielk like this.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Dr. Lipkin said in his interview with Mindy Kitei that Dr Unger does not think that this is a somatoform illness. I would say that action speaks louder then words.

For how many years have we urged them to remove their toolkit from their website with references to GET, CBT and antidepressants.

If the CDC really believes that this is a serious biological disease, we would not have to beg them to make these changes. They would be happy to comply.

The proof is in the pudding!
    Roy S, lilpink, Wildcat and 8 others like this.
  4. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Did anyone take screenshots of the CDC's Awareness Day page that Eileen mentions? I'm not seeing it on their site now.
  5. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    oh good! then it's gone! now for the other ten things on the list...
    Valentijn likes this.
  6. 4ME

4ME

Telling it as it is, we all need to do more of the same particularly in the UK. It's completely inappropriate that so called ME Charities have links on their sites to ME/CFS Clinics run by Psychiatrists such as Chalder, Sharpe and White. I have asked them to remove them or at the very least put a caveat in place warning those new to ME of the harm. The response from both was, they provide the information, patients are free to choose, (AFME) it wouldn't remove them just because I and others didn't like them! (MEA) both Charities blocked me from their Facebook groups for raising this concern.
    Nielk and Wildcat like this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
  8. jann1033

jann1033 Senior Member

Great letter from the dr
    As to the cdc page, boy it would have been nice to have mentioned just where you are to find this knowledgeable Dr to take these good notes so you can evidently swallow your pride that is the only thing keeping you from getting disability.

Since so many can't work where are they supposed to come up with the funds to travel 500- 1000 miles, pay for lodging, gas food meds the visit so they can see one of the handful of knowledgeable docs that the CDC hasn't tainted with their uneducated, biased view? They neglected to mention that.

Lol that and gathering all your items before you start to make that gourmet dinner, wash all that laundry and get that refreshing sleep. This takes place where, in Fantasyland?

Baffons, charlatans, quacks or just plain idiots?
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    leela, Nielk and Blue like this.
  9. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  10. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @Nielk

Thanks for the screenshot--as awful as it is! :mad:

Sushi
    leela and Nielk like this.
  11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    Is there some way we can add our voice to the concerns described in the letter to Unger?
    The website as it stands is misleading and there is no way for the authors to not know that.

I have no words for what I think of the CDC's attitude toward the ME community.

:mad: indeed!
    Kati likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.