1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Eighty new genes linked to schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    rosie26, alex3619, catly and 3 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The abstract is at http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13595.html but only the DRD2 gene is specifically mentioned, along with a more general references to genes related to glutamate.

4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    In the .pdf with supplementary information (free, at the end of the page), they list and briefly describe the interesting genes starting at page 18: DRD2, GRM3, GRIN2A, GRIA1, SRR, CLCN3, SLC38A7, SNAT7, , RIMS1, CACNA1I, CACNA1C, CACNB2, CAMKK2, NRGN, ATP2A2, KCTD13, NLGN4X, IGSF9B, CNTN4, MEF2C, PTN, CNKSR3, PAK6, SNAP91, KCNB1, HCN1, CHRNA3, CHRNA3, CHRNA5, CHRNB4, FXR1, SATB2, FAM5B, PODXL, BCL11B, TLE1, TLE3.

SNPs are listed starting at page 23. The effect sizes (in the OR column) are mostly quite tiny, and almost all of them only reached statistical significance because the study was so huge. As an example, the SNP with the biggest effect size is rs77149735, which had an allele frequency of 2.25% in cases and 1.91% in control. Nothing earth shattering.

natasa778, Marco and xchocoholic like this.
  5. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    @Valentijn

Thanks. This on immune associations was also included in the supplementary material :

(my bold)

6. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

I want to add my weight to what Marco has said. The strong correlation with many genes affecting immune function goes along with a great deal of prior data indicating that a portion of cases diagnosed as schizophrenia could be the result of infectious disease and/or response to same. This runs directly counter to the general idea that the problem is genetic, so we can't do much about prevention. Preventing or stopping certain infectious pathologies which are considered harmless in most of the population could save some people from a life-long nightmare of recurrent mental illness. This option has been very poorly investigated in the past, despite striking clues.

(Examples: admissions to mental hospitals following epidemics of influenza; a few solid documented successes of those forms of "pyrotherapy" which changed immune response; brief remissions and lucid behavior by schizophrenics while infected with influenza, again changing immune response; apparent cures of schizophrenia in a few patients treated very early after onset with minocycline. Concerning that last, I do not consider waiting two years reasonable to test effectiveness in cases of "recent onset." Too much work has been based on the assumption "we know this is not an infectious disease" despite known examples of infectious diseases which produce symptoms of schizophrenia, like syphilis. This last disease is also quite heritable.)

There is a different problem when SNPs which correlate with some condition turn up in genes associated with immune function, these genes are already known to be unusually variable in response to differing environments with varying pathogens. There is always the problem of catching unrelated random variation, because in biology everything is correlated with everything else. This can be predicted to become a research battleground.

I also feel the need to warn people that this is a very complex document and research collaboration, which makes it harder to analyze. Just take a look at the list of consortia involved in the supplementary notes.

catly and Sidereal like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    I often feel somewhat out of my depth these days due to increasingly poor cognitive function but always have found these things interesting.
    I'm always interested to read others thoughts and insights.
    I do have something to contribute that I remember reading about in the past. To do with the idea of mental illness and infectious disease as ancientdaze discussed. Children who get the chicken pox sometimes acquire OCD afterward.

Marco and merylg like this.
  8. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Snowdrop likes this.
  9. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Absolutely. Same findings in autism http://www.massgeneral.org/about/pressrelease.aspx?id=1531

Yes, very important issue that seems to be ignored in discussion parts of those 'oh we've found the risk genes' papers (guess the tactic of "ignore the problem of false positives and it will go away" is being deplored).

10. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    rosie26 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.