Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Effectiveness of Stevia A against Lyme persisters

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by msf, Nov 25, 2015.

1. msf

msf Senior Member

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

In vitro study.

merylg, Dufresne and Valentijn like this.
  3. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Sapi is a name with Lyme pedigree. This in vitro effort might be seen, in part, as a response to the lack of abx efficacy in general for many late stage Bb cases, but also potentially an attempt to help individuals who for whatever reason cannot continue with conventional abx.

4. msf

msf Senior Member

Yes, sorry, I meant the promise of this seems to good to be true.

Antares in NYC and duncan like this.
  5. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I knew you appreciated its significance, @msf . :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

Montreal
    Indeed.

It seems a bit odd the incredible effectiveness of such a widely used herb only jumps out at us from the lab. You don't come across people exclaiming "ceftriaxone, blah... this stevia is really kicking my ass!"

sianrecovery likes this.
  7. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    kicks mine actually

RustyJ and maryb like this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@msf
    Stevia A, Stevia B, Stevia C, etc, are just the labels used within the study for the different brands of stevia they tested.

The two most effective brands were Stevia A and Stevia B, and these correspond to Nutramedix stevia (the most effective) and Now Foods stevia respectively.

As an aside: two main chemical components found in stevia leaf are stevioside and rebaudioside A. The majority of stevia sweetener products consist mostly of rebaudioside A.

Stevioside is not so desirable in a stevia product, because it has a bitter aftertaste, and what's more, it is linked to genetic mutations (whereas rebaudioside A is safe), according to this article.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Helen and roller like this.
  9. msf

msf Senior Member

Oops,I missed that part. The paper suggests that stevioside is not effective against Lyme, since Stevia A and B do not contain it.

10. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

Montreal
    You're getting die-off from stevia? That's great. Perhaps there is something to it.

I use stevia rebaudiana and it doesn't do anything against my guys. I assume it's the same one used in this study.

11. msf

msf Senior Member

See Hip´s post.

12. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Very interesting.

So presumably it is the rebaudioside A within stevia that has this anti-Borrelia effect.

You can buy stevia products that are up to 99% pure rebaudioside A.

Purebulk.com sell rebaudioside A powder: Stevia Extract (Rebaudioside A 98%)

Rebiana is also a trade name for high-purity rebaudioside A.

It's an in vitro study, though, as has been pointed out, so the results may not translate to in vivo (for example, the rebaudioside A might be broken down too quickly in the body to have much effect).

I guess though if you have Lyme, and you have to choose a sweetener, your best choice may be stevia with a high rebaudioside A content.

Hanna and Helen like this.
  13. lisadoc68

lisadoc68

I recently bought the Nutramedix Stevia extract (Stevia A in the article) and used it to sweeten my coffee. I found that I like quite a bit of stevia in my coffee LOL, and that within 4 days I was having the works herx of my life. I am curious to see if there are other users of this particularly stevia--Nutramedix that had a similar reaction.

Helen likes this.
  14. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    I saw two people "mega-herxing" on nutramedix stevia on a French private facebook lyme group.So you're not alone.

Helen likes this.
  15. Theodore

Theodore Senior Member

France
    "Different Stevia extracts manufactured by Nutramedix®, Now®, Sweet leaf®, and Truvia® were purchased from health food stores in the USA and were labeled randomly as Stevia A, B, C, and D."

"Here, we first evaluated four different commercially obtained Stevia extracts (3 alcohol extracts and one extract in powder form)..."

Nutramedix, Now and Sweet leaf are alcohol extracts but Truvia is a powder form.

Since the labels were randomly assigned, we don't know which is Stevia A but the study says "This might be explained by the reported variations observed in the different phytochemical concentrations of different Stevia extracts, which resulted from the growing conditions and agricultural practices followed..."

So the more concentrated the better?

16. ashcove

ashcove

I used took the nutramedix stevia for the first time yesterday and now my ear is inflammed and plugged. Think this is a herx reaction?

17. erin

erin Senior Member

I grow stevia in my garden and use it all the time instead of sugar, I cook with it. But I'm not sure what type I have in my garden. I didn't know any effects of stevia, just use it as a sweetener.

18. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Sounds like a histamine reaction: like with other allergies, when you get inflammation of the posterior pharynx and nasal passages and it also affects the auditory canal, so your ears get "plugged up." Some things I'm allergic to, one sniff and my ears are plugged up.

Mel9 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.