The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Effectiveness of graded activity in pts w/ non-specific low-back pain-systematic revw

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Non-specific low-back pain isn't ME/CFS of course. But the finding is interesting.

Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09638288.2011.631682

oceanblue likes this.
  2. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    Interesting, Dolphin. I know plenty of 60+ people who suffer crippling low back pain. Those of us with Fibro/ME have it especially bad. Here at home we share a heating pad which just lives on the sofa. I can still see my Fibro/ME friend with the wires of her TENS unit hanging out of her shirt.

I wonder if anyone has studied the effect of a heavy laptop on one's lap for hours. That seems to aggravate my lower back no matter what my position.

3. Esther12

Esther12

Thanks Dolphin.

Sean likes this.
  4. Mark

Mark Former CEO

Sofa, UK
    Thanks Dolphin. My lower back pain has been flaring up in recent weeks. For me, anti-inflammatories, rest, and some very light, short daily walks to keep my back moving have always been the most beneficial.

The fundamental cause for me, though, is the position I fall asleep in. And underlying all of that is the allodynia/sensitivity to fabrics which restricts how I can sleep, and some kind of sleep problem which means I don't move during the night anyway - I wake up with really bad pack pain some days and immediately I can feel how my sleep posture has caused that.

I do believe that very gentle walking is generally very important for back pain - you've got to get your back moving somehow, that does so much to get all the back muscles moving properly - and I can walk gently for short periods (though I still can't stand still without pain, after all these years). But graded exercise? If that suggests 'pushing it' in any way, that's not going to ever be a good idea for chronic back pain in my experience; the hardest part is restraining yourself and keeping it as smooth and gentle as possible - in my experience, at least...

5. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
    Good points Mark.

BEG, I bought a table similar to those found in hospital from ebay. They make ones specifically for laptops that tilt & adjust height etc.

See more popular forum discussions.