• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

effective protocols?

physicsstudent13

is this methylation protocol effective and safe? I've been taking some NAC and liverrite choline and switched to GNC lecithin phosphitadylcholine after liver damage after a horrible surgery and it has helped my energy, but I should get a blood test to see where my levels are at. I was feeling great some days on the methylation supplements and had much less brain fog but then suddenly I slept 24 hours on the cpap machine and woke up really tired. I also broke out in cystic acne after taking vitamin B from riteaid.
I had vitamin B shots before but it didn't work for me, maybe my glutathione levels were too low, I was low on sam-E and had a broken methylation cycle

juniemarie

Have you read the threads in the sticky's about the kind of b12 to take as well as the kind of folate to take? There are also specific brands that you need to take and I don't think riteaid is on the list. Acne is a common complaint when b12 and folate are out of balance....you can do a search in the methylation section of the forum and bring up all the discussions about that. You need to follow a specific protocol and its guidelines. Some of the protocols people follow on this site are Fredd's, Yasko, and SMP There is info about the steps of each one as well as lists of recommended supplements

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I can't say if Dr. Ben Lynch's protocol is safer or more effective than any other, but at least he is a licensed and credentialed health practitioner (naturopath) whose specialty is treating patients with MTHFR mutations.

I found one article on how he treats C677T mutations and it includes a stepwise protocol about how to use methylB12 and methylfolate - how much to use, when and how to take them, etc.

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/

If you scroll down to Part II on that page, the first sentence says:
Methylfolate Recommendations for those homozygous for the C677T MTHFR Mutation

From there forward you can see the stepwise recommendations. Dr. Lynch has his own line of supplements, but you can certainly use your own. For a while he was accepting new patients, but as of last fall he stopped because of a full schedule.

What we refer to as "startup" at Phoenix Rising, he calls "detox." I don't know which term is more accurate, but they seem to be the same constellation of symptoms.

physicsstudent13

mainly the NAC and choline seems to have helped a lot. I have had high B12 levels before but my folate was low now- this methyl B12 is supposed to be bioidentical to the body's own. so fixing the broken methylation cycle repairs DNA and produces glutathione. what else does it do? NAC is used for tyenol overdose so maybe it can clear the body of other toxins. I also have asthma and can't exhale and the lungs are supposed to contain glutathione. I should get a blood test to see where my glutathione and homocysteine levels. so genetic testing can help you find a individualized protocol.

I don't have a lot of money so is the nattokinase worth it? it's supposed to stop placques from forming- does it actually break up existing placques like a clotbuster drug?

Thinktank

Where do you live? 23andme is a quite cheap test to do if you want to know more about possible methylation problems caused by genetic predispositions.

physicsstudent13

I live in NY- is this a genetic test like for MTHFR? my liver was so damaged from surgery that there was probably some toxin from anesthesia like possibly nitrous oxide

the problem with statins is that they have terrible memory dysfunction and joint pain side effects though they do lower cholesterol.
I'm on 1600mcg of the methyl folate today, usually I take 800 and feel a little abnormal maybe after the sam-E 1.4g. I've started taking creatine too and hope that it will let my body rest after surgery. isn't the solgar methylfolate good enough, I'd guess it's a bio identical and doesn't require conversion and crosses the blood brain barrier and can help cognition?
it seems like there's a remote possibility that taking supplements may shutdown the body's natural production of these chemicals
it's a bit odd that you need to take so many supplements for one mutation- I wonder what his exact reasoning could be? well at least he is sharing much more information than any doctor would

Thinktank

Yes, see www.23andme.com and www.geneticgenie.com for 23and interpretation. You could also do the yasko panel for methylation testing.I'm not very literate on genetic testing so check the genetic testing and SNP's subforum, there are quite a few knowledgeable members that might be able to help you.

What happened to your liver and what are your cholesterol values?

Why are you taking creatine? It sounds like you are experimenting with too many stuff without really knowing what's going on in your body. I recommend you to save up some cash, visit a reputable NP or functional medicine practicioner and do some proper testing to find out what's wrong with you. First test and then start with targeted therapy.

physicsstudent13

by the way have you found that a naturepath helped you a lot?
I had tracheotomy because I was tired of brain fog and exhaustion and my AST ALT were extremely high and I had all the symptoms of cholestasis, encephalopathy. 2 hepatologists advised me not to take anything, that there was no evidence for milk thistle