1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Effect of SAMe on blood pressure

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by arx, Jan 28, 2013.

1. arx

arx Senior Member

Hi

I have some questions about SAMe.
    Considering the methylation cycle (http://s2.postimage.org/9ujind58p/Methylation.png),
    SAMe increases homocysteine and B12,B6,folate will help decrease the homocysteine,hence balancing the cycle. I have experienced increase in blood pressure after taking SAMe. Can this be because of the increased homocysteine, and probably intake of B6,B12,folate will help?

Please share your views and experiences.
    Thanks.

2. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I don't know if this is what's going on in your case, SAMe stimulates the BHMT pathway which could cause an increase in norepinephrine. Norepinephrine can raise blood pressure. I'm pretty sure methylation can also cause high blood pressure (at least initially).

3. arx

arx Senior Member

Hmm..maybe. I was just pondering on the probable causes of my abnormal blood pressure. I get headaches too. I thought it's maybe because of SAMe. When I start thinking about it, it seems unlikely. But still always good to know others' experiences.

4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Someone was saying too much P5P raised his norepinephrine so if that is whats causing high bp then more B6 might not be good. Also, B6, B12, and folate will increase methylation. Also, low potassium from methylation can cause high blood pressure.

5. triffid113

triffid113 Day of the Square Peg

Michigan
    I vote for the possibility above that I bolded. methylation has no effect that I have ever observed on my blood pressure but my blood pressure is so high (w/o my treatments) that I would never notice a small effect. If the top number of your b.p. is > 120 it means you are low in potassium. If your top number is <=140 then you are only a little low (I use 500mg to correct that). A banana is 333mg so just an extra banana or, even better, a serving of cantalope (which is much higher in potassium).

Triff

6. arx

arx Senior Member

I'm not taking B12. Just SAMe. It has been prescribed to me. Consuming only SAMe wouldn't lower potassium,would it?

7. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Are you not taking folate either?

8. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    arx

It seems too much SAMe could cause overmethylation and overmethylation can cause excitoxicity symptoms even if potassium isn't low. This from dbkita:
    Overmethylation is a very,very real thing. It is basic biochemistry. People focus on methylation via the cycle, but in fact methylation via SAMe (mostly) is a huge regulator of gene expression, even silencing certain genes. Too much methylation can have HUGE effects on the body. Period. Anything to the contrary is just ... wrong.

That being said overmethylation is NOT generally the province of b12 generally since even the methyl b12 variant has a very short half-life. Some people on these forums take massive doses to force it to high overpowering concentrations in the CNS to help them with fundamental neurological issues.

On the other hand taking too much SAMe directly, too much TMG and for sure too much 5mthf or even folinic acid for many (or even folic acid for like 40% of the population) can overmethylate you. For those who lack the C677T SNP, riboflavin can also really spark methylation. Those with A1298C mutations are susceptible to overmethylation since the SAMe negative feedback mechanism on MTHFR via allosteric binding is inhibited (which can be really bad). P5p is also a contributor and can spark those with trans-sulfuration problems. B12 has much less impact on overmethylation (though mb12 will reduce melatonin and can cause some insomnia regardless of 'startup' effects).

Personally I overmethylated myself for two years taking too much methylfolate, TMG, r5p, p5p and even some SAMe (the last of which made me understand clinically that I was hammering myself wrongly). And no it was no detox or start-up effects. That tune gets real old real fast for some of us. And it wasn't low potassium either since I got 10 grams per day in diet and supplements. It was simply over-methylation.

See more popular forum discussions.