Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

EDITORIAL Differing case definitions point to the need for an accurate diagnosis of ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by AndyPR, Jan 9, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21641846.2017.1273863

taniaaust1, Dolphin, Woolie and 19 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I wonder if pre and post exertion lactate would make a suitable biomarker. Take blood, have the patient walk until they feel exhausted, then take blood again.

taniaaust1, Woolie, Mel9 and 4 others like this.
  3. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

It seemed to me, reading this, that they are making a strong argument against the type of broad criteria that MEGA intend to use.

Particularly if the low initial lactate levels reported in another thread recently are a commonalty to all/most PwME, then it could be used as an initial screen, along with reported symptoms.

Woolie likes this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    This is a UK-based team from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine: Luis Nacul, Caroline Kingdon, Erinna Bowman, Hayley Curran & Eliana Lacerda.

Good to see them speaking up against Oxford nonsense.

taniaaust1, Dolphin, mango and 9 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    As Ron Davis pointed out, you only need the blood. Measure lactate, or some other marker, both pre- and post- a cell stress test and you have a simple blood test. Of course it has to be shown that this is reliable, has high specificity and sensitivity, and we have to use a good marker set.

6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Yes, Ron Davis mentioned the development of a chip that could measure electrical impedance to evaluate cellular changes. Healthy cells and ME/CFS cells showed the same impedance until they were stressed by creating "a demand for ATP." After about 2-hours, the ME/CFS cells showed a reproducible increase in impedance.

It's also been mentioned that healthy cells start acting like ME/CFS cells when exposed to an ME/CFS patient's blood (serum?), and vice versa. That would seem to imply an existing knowledge of how ME/CFS patient cells differ from normal cells (possibly via a test such as mentioned above). At any rate, if ME/CFS patient blood consistently altered healthy cells performance on some kind of test, that too might be a test for ME/CFS.

taniaaust1, Mel9 and alex3619 like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Serum.

Forbin and Mel9 like this.
  8. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Makes sense to me.

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The adjunct point (underlined) I think is good. I don't think the comparison with other conditions is exact. For example, the CBT is not the same. Also there is an abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS which makes it more difficult to design suitable graded activity and exercise regimes.

But there is always a chance with peer-reviewed papers that the authors were pressurised by a peer reviewer to say something they might prefer not to.

mango, Valentijn and Kati like this.
  10. Kati

Kati Patient in training

It is much more complicated than measuring lactate pre and post exercise.

Note that athletes will have high lactate following maximal CPET and if they are in overtraining, their pre-exercise lactate will show elevated.

If it were this simple, we'd already have a biomarker.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

See more popular forum discussions.