Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Economist Article: Blood Simple?

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by aaron_c, Sep 5, 2016.

1. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

From this week's economist (print edition!):

Chronic-fatigue syndrome

Blood simple?

A new test may diagnose a mysterious illness, and also help to explain it

Nice to see good press like this in such a mainstream magazine. And a British one at that!

Mary, MEMum, zzz and 11 others like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Good press is good.
    Yet the first comment supports somatic treatments -
    "such as EMDR, somatic experiencing, sensorimotor psychotherapy, brain spotting, EFT and others are one way that supports human physiology to shift back to physiological states of relaxed vigilance and health even years or decades following traumatic events."
    http://www.economist.com/node/21706241/comments#comments

3. concepcion

concepcion Senior Member

There is one comment at the end of the artcle which desperately needs a reply.

Jennifer J and Hutan like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Anyone with an Economist account, just cite the IOM emphasizing that this is not a psychological disorder.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25695122

A few words on how the psychologization of the illness has harmed patients would be useful as well.

PennyIA, slysaint, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  5. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Valentijn, Kati, Jennifer J and 3 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    The person making that comment appears to be a doctor (MD after the name) (ETA: I posted this before seeing @Denise's post)
    I thought initially she was using the word 'somatically' (ie of the body) incorrectly. But she appears to be suggesting psychological treatments that have a somatic element. eg (definitions found on the internet)

Brace yourself for the 'psycho bit' of BPS continuing to get a bit more 'bio' - making the bullshit rather harder to see.

7. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Wow. I have occasionally thought that the only way one of the BPS crowd would accept that ME is a physiological illness would be if they suffered from it themselves.

It would appear that although Veronique Mead has suffered from "chronic fatigue" for 18+ years and is unable to work because of it, it hasn't dented her faith in her beliefs one bit, even though she hasn't been able to cure herself.* Hasn't she tried CBT or GET?

EFT, energy meridians blah blah. Why does she hold on to a belief system that is of no use to her, except that it gave her an income before she became too ill to see clients?

Quack, heal thyself.

*EDIT: I suppose it's possible that she thinks being worse than she was counts as "recovery".

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    GalaxiiGrl, MEMum, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    She's got a book to sell. :lol: :rolleyes:

Apparently the science backs her up. All things lead to trauma. You can't blast this kind of thinking open, it has to fade away as it's irrelevance is revealed to everyone else.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    MEMum, Snow Leopard, Bob and 4 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

Germany
    Thank goodness there's a rational basis for her beliefs after all. I was beginning to worry that she was suffering from some kind of pervasive delusion.

MEMum, Chrisb, Bob and 4 others like this.
  10. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I am tempted to inquire what her success rate is using somatic psychotherapy to treat nematodes.

MEMum, zzz, Cheesus and 6 others like this.
  11. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Apologies to everyone --- that comment wasn't nice of me...

12. TiredSam

Germany
    I'd imagine it's about the same as her success rate for treating people.

PennyIA, Hutan and JaimeS like this.
  13. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Done

MEMum, Bob, slysaint and 11 others like this.
  14. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    It's safe to say that this would be literally like torture for me.

"Think of everything that's ever upset you while I tap on your head."

"I... don't really want to think of everything that's ever upset me?"

"Repression! Out, out, evil spirit!"

...All while repeating 'positive affirmations': "I am safe. I am surrounded by a protective halo of light."

That kind of cognitively-dissonant bullshit was one of the only things I really disliked about going to an alt med school.

-J

joeblow604, PennyIA, slysaint and 6 others like this.
  15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
  16. Troyza

Troyza

Great reply to Dr Mead!!!!

17. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    I heartily recommend recommending Jaime's comment below the article.

18. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    Good reply, Jaime! :)

MEMum and JaimeS like this.
  19. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

I am concerned that we may be a little too enthusiastic in our rebuttal of Dr. Mead's opinion. While I agree with 90% of what yall have brought up--healer, heal thyself!--I don't think we should assume that we know what Dr. Naviaux would (will?) find if/when he contrasts ME/CFS, dauer, and PTSD--as he apparently feels needs to be done. Dr. Mead certainly seems to think she knows what the outcome will be, and it is one more problem with her argument. But...lets not emulate her.

I also do not think that Dr. Mead having written a book on the subject is inherently sinister. If Dr. Ron Davis wrote a book on ME/CFS would that be a conflict of interest that disqualified him from opining on the subject? And if he shared his opinion without mentioning the book, would the omission strike an ominous tone?

Am I missing something? Is there a reason that her omission is in poor taste?

As you pointed out so well @JaimeS, the main problem seems to be that she sells her psychotherapy as a cure. And that this bill of goods ends up encouraging poor quality psychological research into ME/CFS instead of the biomedical stuff we so desperately need. And (as I point out in my comment that you can find below) that she doesn't seem to have read the research.

MEMum likes this.
  20. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Another quack who can't read - neither the article, the research it discusses, nor any other ME research, apparently. Prospective studies have shown that there is no link between trauma, etc, and developing ME.

It's very sad when people feel compelled to display their ignorance so prominently, and with their full name and professional credentials attached :p

Snow Leopard, MEMum, JaimeS and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.