1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Economic Cost Estimates for CFS Skyrocket

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Cort, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

AfME study 2003 (UK): ME costs the nation nearly 3.5 billion a year

AfME study 2003 (UK): ME costs the nation nearly 3.5 billion a year
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Maybe somebody else can find more details:
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't recall any other ME/CFS studies looking at the costs of the illness looking at the effect on education.

But there could be other factors also like you say e.g. better paid jobs often come after years of experience working which can be reduced with the illness.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

No illnesses unfortunately in the UK get 60m. Top of the list I saw a few years ago was breast cancer with 11m. Diabetes got 4-5m even though it is very expensive condition for the health service and shortens lives. Multiple sclerosis was getting around 2m and prostate Cancer less than 1 million. The research budget is limited; a lot of it goes to basic non-illness specific biological research along with public health research. Then it has to cover a huge range of conditions.

By contrast, MS charities were raising 11-13m for research each year last time I checked.

So I understand the argument put money for research is not like providing a health service: the NHS tries to have a health service for all; but the research budget is not going to find a cure for all illnesses anytime soon. It simply can't take on the task.

If the ME/CFS Community wants to speed things up, raising money for research is one of the things it needs to try to do.

See more popular forum discussions.