• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV Reactivation?

My triggering event was glandular fever, for which my first symptom was a huge lymph node on the right side of the front of my neck. Ever since then this lymph node has fluctuated up and down, but definitely seems a major part of my ME/CFS. Just this week it swelled up hugely, and my right tonsil swelled up as well and had a lot of pus on it (sorry for gross details).
I have done some reading, and apparently reactivation of EBV is not uncommon. For healthy people it is usually asymptomatic, but it can mean that they can transmit it. They now think this is how most people get EBV/glandular fever. From an asymptomatic person. Immunosupressed people can be symptomatic with reactivation.
So I have been wondering if this latest incident was a reactivation of my orginal EBV. If so, am I contagious, and how long for?
Anybody else ever had this, or heard of it?

take care, ness