• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV prefers inflamed gut mucosa

Daffodil

ill just bet this whole thing is caused by EBV latent proteins. like some in-between phase of EBV that is neither lytic nor fully latent...like cancer but not. maybe there is some special strain we have that they have not found. some strains are associated with certain types of cancers so there are different strains of EBV!

Nielk

This is very interesting to me because I have Crohn's and suffer from chronic gastritis. I wonder what they would advise for treatment.

Overstressed

ill just bet this whole thing is caused by EBV latent proteins. like some in-between phase of EBV that is neither lytic nor fully latent...like cancer but not. maybe there is some special strain we have that they have not found. some strains are associated with certain types of cancers so there are different strains of EBV!

Hi Daff,

I think this is a typical story of the chicken or the egg: what was there first? I think it's known that we have problems with at least cellular immunity. What if there's another pathogen, infecting the gut, and causing immune dysfunction, causing the infected lymphocytes to migrate to the gut? Not only EBV is found in the gut, also CMV is there, often a cause of bowel cancer.

Best wishes,
OS.

Enid

Thanks Daffodil - chicken or egg it always seems to come down to a compromised gut problem (hence immune dysfunction).

Overstressed

Thanks Daffodil - chicken or egg it always seems to come down to a compromised gut problem (hence immune dysfunction).
Indeed, that's what I think: there's another causing factor, causing the immune dysfunction leading to a re-activation of pathogens that were in check, and not anymore. It's a bit of the same way HIV is causing illness, directly and indirectly.

Best wishes,
OS.

snowathlete

Thanks Daffodil, that is very interesting.
I wonder if any ME docs have looked for this specifically. Does anyone know?
I'm seeing KDM later this month so I can ask him.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thanks Daffodil, that is very interesting.
I wonder if any ME docs have looked for this specifically. Does anyone know?
I'm seeing KDM later this month so I can ask him.
I have heard from a few people who have had gut biopsy's from KDM, only recall hhv6 by one person, cant recall the other viruses though?

Daffodil

there are CFS/ME researchers looking into this.

i think they have only scratched the surface of their knowledge of the gut so far but i read on the metametrix website that some people who have the stool GI profile and then treat for bacterial overgrowth (or whatever is found), end up in remission from their bowel diseases.

heap....i think some people find coxsackie too...

Daffodil

overstressed...i agree..

i got this after mono. how can that just be a coincidence?

Daffodil

could it be that antivirals do not reach the gut in sufficient quantities as in HIV?

Enid

Strange thing I found was a short period of actually feeling well for a while following high dose Amoxcillian for infected roots extractions followed by high probiotics. It did not last though.

Daffodil

hi enid. i guess you must have a bacterial infection.....antibiotics never helped me but i am going to try xifaxan soon..its for the gut.

Enid

Yes agreed Daffodil - the breakdown of the integrity of the gut lining is my own big why/where from/pathogen etc.

Charles555nc

My dad is a doctor and he told me part of the problem with american food is that it has extra gluten "to help poor people get enough protein". So you could have some pasta in Italy with barely any gluten reaction, and the same type of pasta in America would damage your villi in your intestines.

You guys should try LDN, its a powerful antiviral and I had to work up to 1.5mg so far (end goal is 4.5 a day at bedtime). Helps viral problems and autoimmune reactions and is even supposed to help lower viral loads like even HIV. Look into it.

Hormones like Dhea or melatonin couldnt hurt either.

Gamboa

Glutamine, an amino acid, is supposed to very good for healing intestinal epithelial cells. I read about it somewhere on PR and someone here said it was their number one supplement. I have been taking it for about two months now in addition to almost (not quite) eliminating gluten from my diet and I must say I am feeling better these days. Coincidence? I guess time, and more research, will tell.