Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

EBV peptide test

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Joolz, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Joolz

Joolz

Little Bluestem and Billt like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Do you know if it would work in a person who has been ill for decades?

maryb likes this.
  3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I'd like to know that too.

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Would you know how this is actually used as a diagnostic test? It seems to be a set of antigens from the Epstein-Barr virus, designed to stimulate an anti-EBV immune response.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I don't think this is going to be a diagnostic test of any sort. It may be a way of stratifying patients by their T cell responses to different peptides from EBV but I don't think that will say anything about whether or not the EBV has anything to do with their ME. I guess it would be more likely to reflect their MHC genetics.

snowathlete and Hip like this.
  6. Joolz

Joolz

I heard from one of prof Scheibenbogen's patients that the test is supposed to be used for diagnosing an EBV-specific fatigue, regardless of PCR results. She seems to think that [a subset of?] CFS patients suffer from repeated EBV replications (complete or incomplete). I'm just quoting, I haven't talked to her for almost a year, but she mentioned the test to me back then as well.

I have no idea, but my guess would be yes. Why? Because the test has been developed in the context of the 2014 paper on EBV/CFS (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0085387) where the average disease duration is around 7 years with a range up to the 30s.

Prof. Scheibenbogen will also perform a (treatment) study on 10 CFS (probably EBV-triggered, as this is their main research focus?) patients from autumn 2015. It shouldn't take too long before results are published, if I understood correctly.

RL_sparky and Hip like this.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Interesting paper. They say that they found deficient memory B-cell and T-cell response in ME/CFS patients, suggesting an impaired ability to control early stages of EBV reactivation.

I wonder if this links up to a previous 2012 study (from Lerner et al) which found partial EBV reactivation in some ME/CFS patients generating two viral proteins, DNA polymerase and dUTPase, with the patients producing antibodies to neutralize these proteins (actual paper here).

See more popular forum discussions.