• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV Ab VCA High for IgG

Xandoff

Michael
If positive is 1.0 and your result was 8.0 I would say that is very high. That being said I am not a Doctor, I have cognitive issues and my test resluts two years ago showed a recent infection of EBV. I do know that many Doctors do not know how to read some of the "titers" results. Soulfeast all labs are different, and it is important who does these labs but it looks like 8.0 is off the charts? I hope you get and find the help you need. Am I wrong here. Anybody else care to weigh in?

Ema

I tested high for EBV Ab VCA IgG. I am . 8.0. Positive is > 1.0

Is this an accurate measure for chronic EBV?

Thank you..
Usually when making a determination of chronic EBV, one needs to look at all of the following:

Early Antigen Ab, IgG
EBV VCA, IgG
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG

With a positive VCA IgG such as yours, it could be an acute infection (to be ruled out by a negative VCA IgM), Convalescent Phase infection, Chronic infection, or Old infection. You need the other tests to make a final determination.

Ema

Glad to see this post. I just got bloodwork results back today and am confused as to what I'm looking at, too.

EBNA Ab/IgG >8.0 (normal is <0.9) - positive
EBV CAPSID Ag.Ab/IgG >8.0 (normal <0.9) - positive
EBV Early Ag.Ab <0.2 (normal <0.9) - negative
EBV CAPSID Ag.Ab/IgM <0.2 (normal <0.9) - negative

I got ME/CFS six and a half years ago after a viral infection (acute onset of CFS symptoms). Had similar test results about six years ago, but my doc shrugged them off as "chronic mono." Since then I've been tested for all kinds of things - lyme, cardiac issues, etc., etc. - and nothing has every shown up except the Epstein Barr. Tired of being tired, I decided to get another round of tests and see if I could pinpoint what might be amenable to treatment.

Do soulfeast's results and mine suggest anything? (Sorry, I've done a bunch of forum searches and have just gotten myself more confused.)