1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Easy Vegetable Soup

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Andrew, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Anyone have an easy vegetable soup you want to share?
  2. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
  3. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    Sorry, Andrew, I cook with my can opener these days. If it's veggie soup, it's a brand called Annie's, full of yummy things and actually not bad on the carb side. So many veggie soups are just too high carb, even the home-made ones.
  4. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I find a pressure cooker is the easiest method - super fast. Given it can take me hours to chop a few vegetables, having them cook fast in a pressure cooker saves a lot of time. Just pick anything you like, add something you tolerate for flavour (herbs or tolerated spices, tomato etc) and wait twenty to twenty five minutes. Blend if you want after that - I use a blending wand as its far easier to clean than a blender and so saves me energy.

Many commercial soups are carbs carbs and more carbs, throw in some chemicals and salt. Homemade is better.

Bye, Alex

PS I recently bought a high grade ergonomic knife to make things easier on my hands. It works wonders. Invest in a good knife with a really good grip. I am using an east/west knife, which means it both chops and slices.
    Sallysblooms likes this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
  7. Dainty

Dainty Senior Member

Washington State
    I was blessed to grow up with a mom who cooked from scratch all the time. To keep things easy, she had a plastic carton in the freezer labeled "for soup" and small amounts of leftovers that would generally be good in soup were tossed in there. Whenever it was full she'd throw everything in a pot with broth and other goodies to taste and slow cook it (we just used the stove). It wasn't usually the most phenomenal recipe, but always tasted decent and at times very good. There's room for a lot of creativity, adding spices and whatnot, or for maximum energy savings you can aim for "edible" and leave it at that.
  8. Vincent

Vincent Senior Member

Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Andrew likes this.
  9. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    If one wanted something super easy, you could probably just cook up some packet frozen mixed veg... add some herbs (i like to add a lot of mixed herbs to my soups), salt, pepper, curry powder .. I also usually add some vegemite (or stock cubes).. could be added too. (be generous with flavourings.. many people who think the soup they make isnt tasty are just not using enough herbs/spices) ..

cook all up and then just blend (I have a stick blender). The trick in getting this very nice is getting the right amount of herbs and spices for the amount you are cooking, people who have had my soup at times ask me how I got it so yummy :)

Im actually cooking some soup right now in a big pot.. Ive thrown in 3 chops in with the soup, which Im going to have a chop as like a side dish with the bowl of veg soup (and the chops are flavouring it as well). (I often also add in an onion and raddish for extra flavour but if my energy is too low.. I just use the frozen mixed veg).

I thought I'd add a bit more info on how I make a flavoursome soup so adding in the amounts of herbs and spices I tend to use... on reading andrews other post.

For a very large pot of veg soup say about 8 servings... I add
    * 1 Tablespoon of mixed herbs
    * half a teaspoon salt (i need to add more when eatting it)
    * pepper to taste
    * 1 teaspoon of curry power (this isnt enough to make the soup taste at all like a curry, if you want to do that you need to add far more).
    * Stock cubes or 1 teaspoon of vegemite
    (if you are a meat eater..adding lamb chops to cook in the mix really flavours this too).
    A couple of crushed garlic cloves can go well too thou not at all needed if one flavours with the combo I posted above.

Pity you didnt save your stock Andrew.. it probably was fixable..just sounds like you hadnt got flavour combos right or strong enough if your soup was bland.
    The tomatoes you used I think of would of overpowered the rest of your soup.. but some meat like lamb in it with more herbs and spices, would of helped tone the tomato taste down, also adding a potato and some pumpkin would of rounded off that tomato a bit.
    (I personally dont tend to put any more then 1-2 tomatoes at the most into a huge pot of veg soup as they really do change whole veg soup flavour and can end up unbalancing it.
  10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    How about split pea soup? Clean and rinse a bag of split peas. Chop a carrot or two. Cook them with bay leaf and salt to taste.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Funny thing. I made some soup the day I posted this thread. I used cabbage, broccoli, an onion, celery, pre-pealed carrots, canned diced tomatoes. I added a little pepper and garlic. Just a bit. The soup tasted awful. I don't understand how that combo can possibly taste bad. I could not even finish one bowl of it.

Anyway, I dumped the liquid out, rinsed it, and put it in the refrigerator. The next day I didn't add any water or broth to it. I just ate it as veggies. Tasted okay. Weird, huh?
  12. November Girl

November Girl Senior Member

Texas
  13. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I used to make a good vegetable soup that I think was fairly simple. It was my version of a soup I had in a restaurant and liked. It is lost in the brain fog now.
  14. Vincent

Vincent Senior Member

Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Hey guys I tried the bobs red mill soup, and it was very good. What I did was buy one can of amy's organic vegetable soup and then I added 2ozs of the dry stuff and some water. I let that put on low covered for an hour. It tastes very good. I appreciate everyones recipes, I'm just afraid a recipe is too hard conginitively. It's more viable for me to take a can of this and a bag of that so to speak. My idea turned out nicely though and others may be interested.
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Just a tip, for many soups a little grated cheese sprinkled on the top, if you are able to handle dairy, improves both calcium and protein content. This is particularly good with onion soup, or anything with tomato in it. I buy reduced fat grated cheese and keep it in my freezer. Its a fast easy protein alternative.
  16. November Girl

November Girl Senior Member

Texas
    good idea - Years ago, we ate a lot of canned soup for lunch. To our surprise, we found that it usually tasted better if we mixed two different types in the pan.

See more popular forum discussions.