• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Easy to remember unique passwords

WoolPippi

1. Choose a simple but longish word, like banana, and plan to use it for all sites
2. Put the first letter of the url of the site you are visiting in front of it.

2a. Make that first letter a capital if you have to include a capital.
2b. Put your favourite number at the end if you have to include a number.

You now have unique passwords for each site that are easy to remember.

This site is: fbanana
Ravelry.com is: rbanana
Beadsareus.co.uk is: bbanana
itunes.com is: Ibanana7

Best is chosing a baseword that's a combination of words and that's not in the dictionary. Something fun is best:
bananatravel
reindeermitts
sleepswithsocks
feedsfrogs
frogwhiskers
wiskeywalzing

Don't use the same baseword for sites with vital info such as banking, 23andme and sites that can access your addressbook such as Facebook and google. For them, choose another word, perhaps unique to that site, and another number, for example the year you started using the sute.

23andme is: 2methylationfun2014
facebook is: Ffakelivesgallery2010
or: FAnnaOnFacebook2016

taniaaust1

thanks that's a great idea. I use a misspelled word password on most of my sites. That wasnt something purposely done, came naturally with this illness haha

Skippa

Anti-BS
Even better, include a symbol #%$? and you just added at least several hundred years to any brute force attempt (until quantum computers arrive, of course, then we're all screwed).

WoolPippi

A password manager works on multiple devices, download the browser add-on (or just use a browser) on each device.
LastPass is good.
Thanks, a good tip for this thread.

But you still have to do an extra task to get to your password though;
it doesn't work for things like the App-store
and sometimes devices may not be mine like when I use my husband's computer or surf in a library.

I also like to keep internet-devices not-synced and nothing in a Cloud. I dislike sites with access to adressbooks and such. I only use my Google-account for youtube subscriptions and always log out afterwards. Facebook is browsed in incognito-mode.
Just to give you an idea of how reluctant I am to give out control to something like a password manager :)

But like I said, I do use the browser-password-help for nonsense-sites which have no access to personal info. Such as reddit. Cats in capes. Comics. :cat: