Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

earworm torment (a.k.a. auditory imagery loop)

Discussion in 'Neurological/Neuro-sensory' started by coomacats, Jun 8, 2012.

1. canan

canan

Hello, I think my disease is related to pure OCD, because intrusive music comes from inside of my head. I repeat the music I heard. I keep fixating on music I dont like. As you said, I have tried many SSRIs, but they make me worse. I dont know why they dont work for me.

If you hear anything, please let me know.

2. coomacats

coomacats

Australia
    Will do, Canan. At least when we can't fix a problem in our bodies directly, we always have the option to work on our general health and nutrition, level of inflammation etc and hope that this will influence the offending symptom. Good luck!

3. canan

canan

if you learn sth, please let me know. Thanks

4. canan

canan

Hello,

I have same illness for many years. I want to get rid of it. could you please how you used NAC?

5. Starsister

Starsister Senior Member

US
    OMG! I hadn't seen any of this ear worm thread till today and I have the same problem! Cant imagine his on my 63 yrs I never heard it mentioned...but what an awful term. I've never thought to tell a dr...too many other weird things to focus on, but it absolutely is disturbing. Ive had tinnitus for most of my life...figured everyone had it, but sometimes it's so loud I can't sleep...right now it's that constant high pitch buzz, but at times it sounds like swarms of cicadas buzzing at night. I can't tell the difference between the real thing vs in my head and have to open window to see if it gets louder.

But weirder and more disruptive are the songs and music which kept me up a lot last night. I associate it with anxiety, and have had it all my life as well, but some times worse than others. I do think there is an OCD element to it...as it helping me cope in a situation...some times helps me distract, sometimes it is comforting, other times like last night I wasn't feeling anxious about anything, but it started when I awoke in middle of night and had to takes meds again to get back to sleep.

I was being super sensitive to any stimuli ...had to unplug my phone charger that gives off a tiny light or I would fixate on that, or the fact that it was on, and then a darn song that I'd listened to a few days before. I used to love playing my music but think I've subconsciously avoided it for years, either because I'm afraid of getting stuck on a piece, or it just brings up too many emotions. I can get a fever just from being emotionally triggered by talking to someone.

I'm just now realizing all the things that can be neurological and so glad for this thread, group and site. I dont mind things being labeled as psychological as the mind and body are completely interconnected anyway. Don't know why the stigma of something being psychological or emotional in origin. I've been a licensed therapist for over 30 years, been in my own therapy even longer, worked in psych hospitals and am amazed how many things such as OCD and bipolar can be physiological, and can now be helped with medication. Things I used to think just talk therapy could help with. Ofcourse too many docs think a RX should fix everything, but usually we need both angles.

But when it is a defense mechanism for anxiety, as mine is sometimes, an anxiety medication is required. So I popped a Valium and some herbal things to get back to sleep last night. If it wasn't psychological to start with, I could feel it becoming more emotional as it was CAUSING me to be more anxious and panic that I wasn't going to get the sleep I need for my other health issues.

GypsyA likes this.
  6. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    I have been suffering also from this "broken record symptom" for years. It comes and go and I can't explain the reason why.
    I have been stucked with a brazilian song now for more than 2 weeks, day and night. It is a nightmare and I don't know what to do to alleviate the problem. Took Magnesium, good quality fish oil... no change.
    Has someone aome new insight on the problem and how to bring some relief ? (I can't take any meds which deals with the CNS).

See more popular forum discussions.