• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Earthing....Your experience....

Abha

Abha
Hi all,
I'm interested at present in Earthing(grounding).I have listened to a lot of clips from Dr Sinatra/Dr Mercola/Clint Ober and others on Youtube re this subject.I would like to hear about anyone's experience in this field....has it helped you or otherwise?Also what type of equipment do you recommend and where did you purchase it from?'m based in UK but it doesn't matter if you live elsewhere.Are there any cheap ways of doing this besides walking on the beach(barefoot in water)or grounding one's feet on the earth?

Seewell

Hi abha
I looked into this a while back.Its about spending time barefoot on the grass/ground isnt it ?
If you had any links,i would be interested to.

Wayne

I would like to hear about anyone's experience in this field....has it helped you or otherwise?

Hi Abha,

There's a fairly long thread at the following link where earthing is discussed at length:

"Earthing" for Protection from EMFs

I still find my earthing pad under my laptop computer to be extraordinarily helpful. It's harder for me to tell how much the earthing sheets have helped, but I do believe it has helped at least some.

Best Regards, Wayne

taniaaust1

if you live elsewhere.Are there any cheap ways of doing this besides walking on the beach(barefoot in water)or grounding one's feet on the earth?

Sitting under a pine or eucalyptus tree (both these sorts of trees are more grounding then many other kinds) or walking on gravel.. is very earthing experiences too and can help one to feel more balanced and not so scattered in the thoughts etc. and can help some feel a little stronger.

Drumming at a heart beat rate is very earthing too....that rate in a study was shown to cause physiological shifts.

Adster

In theory, if your house wiring is up to code, your taps/faucets should be at earth potential, especially if you have traditional copper or gal plumbing. Maybe less so with newer poly plumbing. Otherwise an unpainted metal stake in the ground with a wire running from it will give you a decent earth. Or, bare feet on a wet patch on bare earth.

maddietod

I tried an earthing sheet and an earthing band. Neither one did anything for me. Which only means that this is all very individual, right?

Abha

Abha
Hi Everybody,

Thank you for your replies...

Seewell....My knowledge of this so far is from the web(especially Youtube,,,There is a lot of good info.there)
Mercola interviews Dr Sinatra.
Oschman(on Earthing)
Ober/Dr Mercola..(On Earthing)
Australian chap talks about earthing/instruments used for this.

Seewell i have looked/listened to all of these and many others and I found them interesting.Dr Sinatra's states that one can read the research on Earthing at this site...www.earthinginstitute.net...I haven't looked at it as yet.

Thanks for your link Wayne.I now know that I have been picking up a lot of electricity from around my feet at the computer(box/connections nearby).I'm sure I pick up a lot too in my bedroom(radio/light beside bed...wiring probably around the walls and at the back of the bed.That may have been contributing to my poor sleep/very low mood(depression?)in the early hours(waking up).Yesterday i ordered a bed sheet/grounding mat and some measuring devices etc from a company in the UK.Hopefully that will help make life somewhat easier.Dr Sinatra(cardiologist)talks about blood that looks like Ketchup in sick people.He also states that Earthing helps to make the blood more like red wine.I know from my own health problems going back almost a lifetime that I had very thick blood in my system in 1982(burst artery in mouth/tongue area due to convulsion/ativan addiction).I was able to get back to study/work after that but was still very ill.I think at present that my blood would be extremely thick(not good!)

I'm not a musical person Taniaaust1,so drumming is out but maybe "tree hugging"is in!
Thanks Adster re wiring tips and sorry to hear Madietodd that the band/sheet don't seem to have done much for you.They may however be providing benefits that you are not aware of

Abha

Abha
I put youtube links beside some of above but they haven't appeared in my reply.Why is that?

Abha

Abha
Hi Kina..
I copied the links from Youtube(copied/pasted)and then I put them beside my reply(above).I put Dr Oschman/Dr Sinatra/Clint Ober etc...some parts of the latter(titles/names)are missing too...but i know they were there when I posted.However, it is not a big problem but just annoying....
Thanks for replying....

Abha

Try:

Click on the
index.php
icon just above the Post Reply Box, a pop-up will appear.
  • Enter the URL into the space provided.
  • Click on 'Embed'

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
I've been intrigued by earthing since I first heard of it, and have been meaning to research it more. I must admit, at first, it sounds sort of "out there." But some of the initial materials I've seen and read seem fairly convincing.

Here's a question I have for others more knowledgeable about it: There seems to be a split among the Internet's earthing websites about what the point of earthing is. Some say it's to discharge harmful energy from your body, and others say it's to draw free-radical neutralizing electrons to your body. Can someone clarify which one it is.

By the way, this thread caused me to do some barefoot grass walking yesterday and I did sleep very soundly last night. I wonder if there's a connection.

Wayne

By the way, this thread caused me to do some barefoot grass walking yesterday and I did sleep very soundly last night. I wonder if there's a connection.

Hmmm, must be nice to be able to go barefoot in January! :) I can't really give you specific information on your inquiries, but did want to mention that I've gotten into the habit of eating outside with my feet on the ground (but not in January in Oregon). It always seems to give me varying degrees of feeling grounded, something that's been elusive for me since developing CFS. And I do believe the combination of the computer earthing pad, and the earthing sheets has helped my overall sleep since I started using them.

Abha

Abha
Hi Patrick,

Glad to hear that your barefoot walking has helped your sleep.I'm sure Dr Sinatra would put it down to that(see Youtube)That is what I probably require too(as my sleep is poor) but outside at present it is very stormy and the ground is like a bog!
Like Wayne I intend using an earthing sheet(for bed)and a ground pad for my computer.I was expecting those items to arrive by post today but they didn't come...tomorrow?I have lots of electric connections and a box beside my feet(from computer).Back in the mid 70's when I was really bad I couldn't watch TV or go near electrical things for years.I think staying away from those things helped me recover somewhat(eventually to get back to studies/work/but never to play sport again)

brenda

Here's a question I have for others more knowledgeable about it: There seems to be a split among the Internet's earthing websites about what the point of earthing is. Some say it's to discharge harmful energy from your body, and others say it's to draw free-radical neutralizing electrons to your body. Can someone clarify which one it is.

It`s both.

I have been using an earthing sheet which I bought from a guy in the UK who makes them, for two weeks now.

I had to go real slow with it, using it for increasing times during the day before I could go all
night.

I am impressed. I am sleeping better but my pain levels have not gone down (yet)

I use it through the day as well now and will be out with my bare footsies asap.

I find earthing to be a good help in reducing swollen brain feeling and it allows me to be able to look at the laptop or tv for a longer time and with muuuuuch greater level of comfort.
I have both a cheap rubbery mat and an earthing sheet - both helpful but the sheet is much better. Like Brenda, I too had to increase it's use very carefully.

moblet

Unknown Quantity
I've responded to this question in earlier threads here. Earthing's still working for me, sometimes very intensely.
I don't pretend to know exactly how earthing helps, but these two explanations are not necessarily in conflict. Electrical current consists of a flow of electrons, which flow from negative to positive, although when circuits are drawn the current is indicated as flowing from positive to negative. Earthing by definition represents an electrical connection and thus the free flow of electrons; which way they'll flow will depend on whether your body is positive or negative relative to earth.

If you have access to a voltage meter you can measure not only whether you are positive or negative relative to earth, but also your polarity. This is demonstrated in at least one YouTube video by a seller of earthing products in Australia. I did this in a house where I was living and measured 1.2V, which is more than twice the voltage threshold for firing nerves in a healthy person (0.55V, if you have connective tissue strains then it can be lower). I can't recall what my polarity was. Whichever way the electrons are flowing, there are times when I experience earthing as discharging energy that would otherwise be overwhelming my nervous system, most intensely at sites of neurotransmission in the spine.
I tried an earthing sheet and an earthing band. Neither one did anything for me. Which only means that this is all very individual, right?
madietodd, in your earthing post you were reporting an intense reaction when earthed. Did you find that this reaction was actually being caused by something else?