• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ears feel blocked and muffled - help

Allyson

glad to hear Golden - mine has issipated aturally but just comes bck form time to time - not sure why - after swmming I can understand but after pilates - not sure why - right ear only !

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Ear pain can also be related to TMJ i think
.I also get an outer ear pain sometimes like a crampping aiin that hurts more if i physically move /pull on my ear - i had thought it came after my b 12 injections but not always; lasts a couple of hours or more then goes away entirely.

First, definitely agree with others to check w/ dr. to see if blocked and to get flushed if needed ( or do at home if you feel comfortable doing so)

If not consider being evaluated for TMJD. I have the sensation you describe, it is from TMJD. The inflammation from it can be so severe that it can cause terrible earaches and add to your headaches ( am assuming headaches as seems *most* me/cfs patients have one or more kinds of headaches going on all the time )

good luck !

Allyson

First, definitely agree with others to check w/ dr. to see if blocked and to get flushed if needed ( or do at home if you feel comfortable doing so)

If not consider being evaluated for TMJD. I have the sensation you describe, it is from TMJD. The inflammation from it can be so severe that it can cause terrible earaches and add to your headaches ( am assuming headaches as seems *most* me/cfs patients have one or more kinds of headaches going on all the time )

good luck !

Oh thanks Beaker - yes indeed I DO have TMJ and RSI s and wrist ganglions- all common symptoms of EDS too apparently

I had not made the connection between blocked ears and TMJ as my TMJ is not too bad as long as i don't talk! lol

thanks for making the connection.

And yes I get intermittent headaches too; spot on..

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I get blocked ears mainly due to taking the anti-hypertensive drug Nebivolol. I am keeping it reasonably at bay by doing the Valsalva manoeuvre every day - several times some days.

I did used to get it before I started taking Nebivolol as well - cause unknown. Maybe my previous anti-hypertensive?