• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Early Exposure to Antibiotics May Impact Development, Obesity

Glynis Steele

ScienceDaily (Aug. 22, 2012) — Researchers at NYU School of Medicine have made a novel discovery that could have widespread clinical implications, potentially affecting everything from nutrient metabolism to obesity in children.

Since the 1950's, low dose antibiotics have been widely used as growth promoters in the agricultural industry. For decades, livestock growers have employed subtherapeutic antibiotic therapy (STAT), not to fight infection or disease, but to increase weight gain in cattle, swine, sheep, chickens and turkey, among other farm animals.

First author Ilseung Cho, MD, MS, and colleagues set out to reveal how antibiotics were acting on the body to create this effect, hypothesizing that low doses of the drugs may alter the composition and function of the bacteria in the gut. The resulting study, appearing August 22 online ahead of print in Nature, confirmed their theory about the gut microbiome, the term used to refer to the community of bacteria that lives in the stomach, and raises new questions about how manipulating it can impact metabolism and disease in the body.

The researchers administered STAT to normal mice and observed that the mice receiving antibiotics developed increased fat mass and percent body fat. After about six weeks, the mice that received antibiotics had gained about 10 to 15 percent more fat mass than the mice that did not receive antibiotics. The researchers also noted that bone density was significantly increased in STAT mice early in development and that particular hormones related to metabolism were affected by antibiotic exposure, as well.

"By using antibiotics, we found we can actually manipulate the population of bacteria and alter how they metabolize certain nutrients," said Dr. Cho, assistant professor of medicine and associate program director for the Division of Gastroenterology at the School of Medicine.
"Ultimately, we were able to affect body composition and development in young mice by changing their gut microbiome through this exposure."

Full article http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120822130837.htm

Also this from BBC News:

Antibiotics can make young children heavier, says study

Giving antibiotics to young babies may increase their weight later in life, according to US researchers.
A study of 11,532 infants, published in the International Journal of Obesity, showed children under six months who were given antibiotics were heavier in later years.

Researchers say the drugs could be affecting bacteria in the gut, leading to weight changes.
However, they say more work is needed to confirm there is a link.

Bacteria living on people greatly outnumber the body's own cells and there is a growing interest in how this "microbiome" affects human health. In extreme circumstances there are even examples of doctors transplanting faecal matter in order to introduce healthy bacteria into the gut, treating infections when other methods have failed.

In this study, children who had antibiotics between birth and the age of five months were slightly heavier between the age of 10 and 20 months. After 38 months they were 22% more likely to be overweight.

One of the researchers, Dr Leonardo Trasande from New York University School of Medicine, said: "We typically consider obesity an epidemic grounded in unhealthy diet and exercise, yet increasingly studies suggest it's more complicated.

"Microbes in our intestines may play critical roles in how we absorb calories, and exposure to antibiotics, especially early in life, may kill off healthy bacteria that influence how we absorb nutrients into our bodies, and would otherwise keep us lean."

Microbiologist Dr Cormac Gahan, from University College Cork, said there was certainly a lot of interest in the area, "but it is very early stages for this type of work".
He said changing gut bacteria could alter weight by "a direct effect on energy extraction" or by "influencing hormones".

Shell

I read somewhere, sometime, that up to 80% of antibiotics are used in livestock farming.

While there's a push from medics to blame patients for antibiotic resistant bugs like MRSA and others.
Lots of us fatties are on steroids and antibiotics all the darn time. I believe a lot of this isn't just because my ME has kicked my immunity out but because of the fear of prescribing antiobiotics.
I learned fairly quickly that going to docs before the infection was really bubbly and bad would get me turned away. So I only got antibios once the infection was very well established and spread. Then I would get 5 days of a broard spec one (usually amoxycillin unless I ended up in hospital and got a targeting antibiotic)

This time around, thanks to having seizures with the low grade fever, I went early, when the infection was barely noticable. Although the doc kept saying my chest is clear (because it still is) she agreed to give me a full 10 days of antibios. And this time around I am feeling better sooner, presumably because the amoxy can work better on a less established infection.
I'm back to the docs today for follow up.It is a pleasant surprise to feel so much better onlyy 4 days into treatment.

It seems to me until farming is changed and forced to stop it's mass use of drugs, and until medics use science and LISTENING to the patient, we wont get anywhere fast in obesity or any of the re-emerging and new resistant diseases.

alex3619

I followed some of the links from one of the above pages and found a study in which they showed that childhood obesity is not caused by inactivity. Instead, inactivity is caused by obesity. Causation was backwards. I do not know if this is correct, but if it is it would fit with the antibiotic hypothesis. Bye, Alex

Sing

When I was on antibiotics for three months for supposed Lyme disease (ambiguous test and exposure history, then of course, all my ME/CFS symptoms), I felt extra hungry. What I craved was fatty meat and salt, such as grilled pastrami and corned beef sandwiches, also barbecue. This was ridiculous and not like me. I started putting on the pounds. However, when I got off the antibiotics, my appetite and everything went back to what it was before. Adding this to show that taking a lot of antibiotics at any time might affect your weight. A friend with Chronic Lyme says that her appetite and cravings are similar when she is doing another round of antibiotics, and weight becomes a struggle.