• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ear Infection - Bacteroides

sleepy237

After having multiple visits for sprays, drops and antibiotics for recurring ear problems I asked the doctor to swab my ear on friday. Result came back today as bacteroides. Picking up new ear drops tomorrow. But I read that these are usually found in the gut. Another member gave me a link that showed acid reflux can cause ear infections. I am just wondering if this could in any way be systemic. I also have gum problems pain swollen left gland and swollen tonsil. I am having to pretty much guide/ask for my own treatment. Appreciate any feedback thanks ~Sleepy

Enid

Hi sleepy, all you describe is very familiar to me and interesting you mention bacteroides usually found in the gut. My own problems affected the sinuses, ears, mouth (ulcers etc), swollen glands and tonsils. In addition (you don't mention) a large boil on the face (over sinus) and in the nose (this I suspect connected to nerve endings as very sore and did not break like usual boils). It was all very unpleasant as the head feels fit to burst and I even tried removal of two suspect teeth (no relief). I was having gastrointestinal problems at the time. No doubts about infective processes going on. This is reasonably clear now except for periodic sore throats as if an infection is trying to re-establish. Sounds as though your Doc is keeping under control. This is just to say all is familiar and perhaps another member can advise more. My personal take is viral with secondary bacterial infection. (Forgot to mention sore throat comes with swollen tonsils - possible resevoir ?)

sleepy237

Thanks Enid, just wish a swab had been taken before, getting correct ear drops, ear has been recurring problem for years really. I also get the mouth ulcers, have infected gums and dental problems. An acute sinus infection from maybe a year ago left a lump high up in my jaw right next to left nostril. could this be a boil? I thought root infection but now not so sure. Thanks, hugs ~Sleepy