1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dysfunctional Endogenous Analgesia During Exercise in Patients with Chronic Pain: To Exercise or Not

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/2012/july/2012;15;ES205-ES213.pdf

Simon likes this.
  2. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

"But how?" Of course, GET and cognitive restructuring are presented as the answer. :cautious:

3. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    I think one could try to combine anti inflammatories, lactic acid reducers with a general opiod stimulating therapy such as LDN to increase exercise tolerance.

4. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

Interesting thoughts, mellster. What works as a lactic acid reducer? Is it available over the counter? And what is LDN?

5. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

LDN = low dose naltrexone (an opioid antagonist).

6. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    I've only read the absract, but some of the findings are interesting:
    So, for example, while exercise leads to pain killing effects in healthy individuals, it leads to the reverse in fibromyalgia. I think that's important. And the conclusion about avoiding exacerbating sypmptoms is certainly at odds with the PACE GET cavalier advice for dealing with setbacks ("Carry on!").

Dolphin and Sam Carter like this.
  7. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

If "exercise therapy should be individually tailored with emphasis on prevention of symptom flares", then many patients won't be doing any additional exercise at all then.

Simon and Dolphin like this.

See more popular forum discussions.