May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

DWP spends £39m defending decisions to strip benefits from sick and disabled people

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by adreno, Aug 28, 2017.

1. adreno

adreno PR activist

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...sions-department-frank-field-mp-a7886166.html

2. Alvin2

Alvin2 Senior Member

Its always the poor and disabled who are punished when the powerful flex their muscles. And the public often votes to expand this :bang-head:

3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Is this really about saving money or about enforcing an ugly ideology?

4. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    Ugly is the word.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    When their money saving costs more than is saved, I think you have your answer.

6. skipskip30

skipskip30 Senior Member

I personally think Its more about looking good to the average sun/daily mail readers to stay in power. They can show the stats of how many people have been taken off disability benefits and the reduction in the welfare bill while omitting the figures for defending those atrocities. Your average idiot will just read the newspapers and think they are doing a good job and will vote for them again.

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

A problem with estimating or calculating the cost of these policies is that only the things directly costed are taken into account. Secondary costs, such as increase in health care costs, or other agencies giving assistance (including food banks and family), even judicial costs outside of appeals, plus the devastating social costs, are not included. If we could put a money value on that what would it be?

When only the most obvious direct costs are included its just not the complete answer. Things are always worse than that.

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

It seems obvious to anyone looking at the public relations campaigns that go with this that the politics of division and hate are very much alive. I have no doubt its a part of this. However its not clear this is separable from anti-populace ideology. Where does one begin and the other end?

Wonko and AndyPR like this.

See more popular forum discussions.