1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dutch article about people homebound with CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Hope123, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

3. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Whoops.. I suppose he does. I blame hypoperfusion, and other factors.

Thanks Tom. I thought you were dead. Glad to see otherwise.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

No problem.
    :D
    You must not have heard about Miracle Cure X that brought me back - I'm selling it now for only $59/week - just PM on your credit card details. :Retro wink:
  5. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Though the Library was set up for senior members, you can request access from one of the Administrators.
  6. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    tomk
    MIRACLE CURE X
    Order NOW while supplies last!
    Send Lots of Money Before the Studies Come Back Negative.

[​IMG]
  7. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Trappist Tom!

At the Church of False Illness Beliefs
    We want to promote your Miracle Cure X
    Consider our pastoral partnership
    Here is a link to our
    new online store
  8. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Thanks for the info, Toos.. I ran it through Google Translate (as God apparently has caller ID and is ignoring my calls), and the results were... rather odd-looking, though I got the gist. Thank you Maarten for that translation. It would seem that van der Meer was, in this interview at least, not as 'self-incriminating' as I had remembered; though there is that Reeves-esque suggestion of serious doubt prior to a study that is disturbing. Perhaps I read about the TV interview you mentioned. It certainly suggested to me powerful public evidence of researcher bias. If anyone unearths a transcript/excerpt, please post about it.

Douglas Adams dreamed up the concept of a "Somebody Else's Problem Field", a device that renders objects essentially invisible by triggering the all-too-easy-to-trigger phenomenon of apathy in the minds of observers. I have often thought that ME/CFS powerfully triggers an interesting psychopathology in otherwise healthy individuals, especially doctors, that could be called Somebody Else's Problem Syndrome. The prognosis is grim, unless someone close to you develops ME/CFS, or (hypothetically) you worry about contracting ME/CFS yourself. The most common symptom is referral of ME/CFS patients to psychiatrists, who unfortunately tend to have other Problems.

Strange.. you could just as well substitute "United States" for "Holland" and the above would still be accurate.

Oh no! A conspiracy theory! "Patient clearly has paranoid tendencies."
  9. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Maarten wrote: "Ca 1980 - when I studied, and Angela Kennedy may be glad to hear it - one could get academic degrees in sociology, political science or philosophy by course points given for squatting and for political activism."

Maarten, I really have to ask, what on EARTH makes you think I would be glad of such absurdities? That's such a strange and insulting thing for you to say.

Please explain yourself.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Is this the thread: http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?3837-PLos-Article-Most-published-research-wrong-! ? (I hope to read it eventually).
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

:D
    Looks like you've got yourself a job in our advertising department, gracenote. Pay is a year's supply of Miracle Cure X.

I've decided to frachise also so if others want to sell the product, just get in touch. :Retro wink:
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I think we can do a deal, _Kim_

The poster makes a good point, Beware of fraudulent cures!
    That could be a problem. At least with my recovery, there are no doubts with this product.

I see Dr. Yes has been working on the instruction leaflet how you have to open your mouth before you swallow tablets such as Miracle Cure X:

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?3783-Paging-Dr.-Yes&p=58714&viewfull=1#post58714
  13. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    Thanks tomk. So exciting. I have a job!

It was fortuitous that you named your product MIRACLE CURE X. We can tie the X in with XMRV and XAND and the rest is hysterical (I mean history)!
  14. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Yes Tom. And I've already said on that thread that I'm not a post-modernist (or 'po-mo'). I should say I was only responding on that thread to what I saw were problematic assumptions about my academic discipline (sociology) and my own approach, and trying to clarify both. I couldn't carry on as it took up a lot of time.

Frankly Maarten's comment about me being glad to hear about what sounded like pretty disgraceful academic practices in the 1980's I felt was insulting, not to mention inaccurate. It didn't appear ironic. It implied I supported lax academic standards!

Maarten you are very mistaken in your assumption that my explanations of a feminist empirical sociologist approach is 'attenuated po-mo'. I think you believe what I write is 'po-mo' because you do not know much about sociology, frankly. That's not a crime- but you are wrong in your assumptions.

This comment is pretty amazing too:

"I *really* wish you well Angela, and I don't mind that we think rather differently about philosophy, but IF we are to discuss I go for the truth by any stylistical means, and I don't think we are equals in the respects of philosophy, logic or written argument."

Really? You go for the truth? And what would you see me as doing? And we're not equals? So which of us is better? Have I got to make another pop-cultural reference to Harry Hill again?
  15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

With such insights, I'm promoting you to head of Marketing and Advertising. Not sure what salary increase you should get or how to structure bonuses?
  16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

:Retro redface: Thanks Maarten
  17. gracenote

Santa Rosa, CA
    Thank you once again, tomk. Since I shall have been cured with MIRACLE CURE X, I am up for any challenge. Because I believe in this product, I shall promote it out of the largess of my heart, spreading the word with enthusiastic hyperbole. I only expect to be repaid with gratitude and obsequious adoration.

Now I will return our attention to this study of the CFS homebound which was the purpose of this thread originally. (Thanks all for indulging this silliness.)
  18. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    Ok - well I think I have to apologise to Maarten for one thing - I thought you were female.
  19. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Maarten,

I'm not sure why you dragged Angela's name into this, but I have received a few complaints about the fact that you have done so. In reading through this thread I am noticing that Angela has tried to talk with you about this more than once. Your response has been to entertain yourself at her expense. Sometimes your arrogance plays well, and sometimes it does not. In this case, it really doesn't.

Your statement here, and your subsequent response to Angela is not acceptable. Please correct the situation.
  20. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Maarten,

This is who I am. I am an administrator on these forums. I have come to you about something you posted. It is insulting another member. She has already tried to talk to you about this and gotten more ridicule from you. I have asked you to make appropriate changes.

We also require courtesy be directed toward administrators and moderators, and challenging my right to speak to you doesn't do this.

So I am simply going to repeat, Your statement here, and your subsequent response to Angela is not acceptable. Please correct the situation.

See more popular forum discussions.