Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dust and the creatures that live in it

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by u&iraok, Aug 16, 2016.

1. u&iraok

u&iraok Senior Member

U.S.
    Okay, so we decided to have the air conditioning ducts in our house cleaned because who knows how much dust and possibly mold or who knows what is in the ducts of a house built in 1968 that surely never had this done. It was $300 to clean our 1200 square foot house. Good thing we did because there was a very thick layer of dust numerous inches thick and 'stuff' and a little mold in the ducts.

I could tell the air was cleaner when it was done.

But then I felt that something just wasn't right because I was coughing and felt like something was in my throat and just felt like something was wrong. I asked if they used any chemicals to clean the ducts. No, just suction.

So I looked under my bed and saw that the dust had accumulated under there again. I also seemed to have gotten bitten by something on my arm, seems like a spider and brown recluse spiders around her are very poisonous and scary. My husband went to do a thorough vacuuming under the bed and he found layers of dust and tons of eggs and larvae of who knows what creature! How absolutely horrifying!!! Dust mites are bad enough.

I store stuff under my bed such as my wedding dress, handbags. etc. Not anymore.

It turns out the 'bite' on my arm is probably poison ivy that got into a mosquito bite but all I can say is, if you can, please vacuum under your bed or get someone to do it! Aaaghh! Ugh! Bleh! Cough cough!

2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Just cleaned the whole apartment yesterday; still can't quite breathe properly.

It's the worst! I'm glad you got rid of those eggs, eewwwww

Invisible Woman and u&iraok like this.
  3. frog_in_the_fog

frog_in_the_fog Test Subject

California

It's a good thing we can't see them...​

4. u&iraok

u&iraok Senior Member

U.S.
    Well, I found out that they were moth eggs and larvae. We had been having moths and we couldn't figure out where they were coming from until we had the ducts cleaned and a bunch of them flew out of each vent when they removed the vent covers.

A few years ago someone here said that they lay in bed watching the dust bunnies tumble across the floor and that really stuck with me because I had learned that dust is not good for you. I always just thought it was innocuous bits of stuff. And I felt bad for whoever that was and others here who do not have the energy to clean.

Info on dust:

http://www.treehugger.com/cleaning-organizing/danger-dust-bunnies.html

5. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

We're hoping to get one of those little vacuuming/sweeping robots :p The prices are getting pretty reasonable.

u&iraok and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    I have a SEVERE allergy to dust and I do all the measures above, although I cant manage to keep the whole house this clean I do clean my bedroom this thoroughly every week, and hoover under the bed.

We bought a new HEPA filter vacuum cleaner and a homedix air filter. I also always use a Vogmask when cleaning or if I am able to hoover or dust - or if someone else is and my reactions and lung irritation has reduced considerably with these measures.

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

If you have a good steamer (3 bar or above) then closing the doors and windows in a room and steaming the air and leaving the room closed for 10 mins or so before cleaning can encapsulate particles in the air. They then drop onto surfaces so you'll pick up more allergens and irritants when you dust/hoover the room.

Little Bluestem and justy like this.
  8. u&iraok

u&iraok Senior Member

U.S.
    Interesting.

Good ideas. My husband bought me an air filter yesterday for our anniversary. That either shows he knows me or it shows what being a family member to a person with health problems means! He knows I'd rather have that practical contraption than something fru-fru. I hope it works.

Invisible Woman, justy and Valentijn like this.
  9. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Yes I love practical gifts as well! I used to find a film of dust on my glass of water by the bed when I woke up everyday - now since having the filter this never happens - just bright clear water. But we live in a rural area with lots of mud in winter and lots of dust in summer. We also have a wood burning stove downstairs and they make a lot of dust and mess, and we have a dog - but he is never allowed upstairs, or on the furniture.

10. u&iraok

u&iraok Senior Member

U.S.
    thumbnail_IMG_20160819_140344.jpg So, it turns out that what I originally thought was a spider bite, then thought was poison ivy, was a spider bite. It seemed so much like poison ivy which is usually much ado about nothing that I ignored it until it started swelling and looking like this! Infection set in and I had to get antibiotics. It's getting better.

My husband said there were a couple of little spiders under the bed and I did kill a large one on the door jamb of my bedroom so I don't know if it was either of these or outdoors where I got the bite. I always feared getting a spider bite and here it is, come true! Nasty dust, nasty insects, nasty spiders!

11. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

:hug:

roller and u&iraok like this.
  12. u&iraok

u&iraok Senior Member

U.S.
    One little suggestion I just read--remove the bed skirt from your bed if you have one. It's a way for bugs to climb up into your bed. Otherwise it's difficult for them because the legs on the bed are too slippery.

13. Invisible Woman

My sister in law recently horrified me by telling me that each person swallows a certain quantity of insects and spiders over their lifetime (can't remember the figure - was too grossed out!). Apparently, most of it happens while we are asleep.

When I went to bed last night I happened to look up: an empty cobweb on the ceiling above my pillow. Trying not to think where that spider is. Feel a bit sick.:vomit:

u&iraok and slysaint like this.
  14. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

Hate to tell you this but .........
    "Demodex. Demodex is a genus of tiny parasitic mites that live in or near hair follicles of mammals. Around 65 species of Demodex are known. Two species living on humans have been identified: Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis, both frequently referred to as eyelash mites."
    AND
    "Cheese mites are mites that are used to produce such cheeses as Milbenkäse and Mimolette. The action of the living mites on the surface of these cheeses contributes to the flavor and gives them a distinctive appearance". Mmmm!:D

u&iraok and Invisible Woman like this.
  15. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

Unless of course you sleep on a futon........then you're ******

u&iraok likes this.
  16. Invisible Woman

Yeah.

Great!

Thanks for that.

Now I'm all itchy....:aghhh:

u&iraok and slysaint like this.